Chapter 14: Return

Start from the beginning

"Well, I'm bleeding like a pig, so I guess I'm already a woman. You can consider me an adult and trust me, then I'll trust you."

The explorer laughed softly. "It takes more than a little blood to become a woman - but let's leave it. I promise to give you some explanation about your father and me, but I need you to trust me or I won't be able to help you, Anna."

"Nobody can help me." The girl said for an answer.

For a moment, there was only the splash of water and the sounds of the comb scraping Lara's strands. "You sure?"

"Absolutely. Neither you, nor Dad, nor anyone. I'm fucked up, really fucked up." Lara sat up suddenly and turned to stare at Anna. The girl lowered her lashes. "This, huh, sorry."

"I'm sick of your soldier's language. With your father, talk like a scoundrel if you feel like it, but in my presence, you keep that mouth clean. This is also part of being considered an adult. Understood?"

"Yes Mom."

"Alright." Lara turned around and reclined on the edge of the bathtub. Waves of foamy water closed over her breasts.

Anna finished untangling a lock of hair, dropped it delicately over her shoulder, and picked up another. "Actually... I'm afraid you'll be mad."

"Why would I?" Lara smiled. "I'm a big girl now. Hit me with the bad news."

"Well they are... very bad."

Lara sighed. She was a child. Such childish yet... she realized that Anna wouldn't give in until she did it herself. To win, you must first lose. Fine, she thought. Let's do this.

"Your father and me had a fight because of you, even though you're not to blame." She started. "Have no doubt about it. What happened in Sri Lanka was unexpected for everyone. Before that, we thought you were an ordinary child... well, as much as you can be in our... world." She laughed again. "But suddenly, you're a Lux Veritatis."

If only that, Anna thought desperately. It's worse, much worse.

"It's been harsh for your father." Lara acknowledged, and suddenly she felt terrible. "And I've not been helpful - rather I made it worse."

"But why?"

"Because... because I don't understand him, Anna. After so many years, I should understand him better and... in my case, I've always believed that we must adapt to changes. They don't bother me, Anna. Yes, everything would've been easier if you were an ordinary child, but you aren't and that's all. I believe we must go on and that you must be trained to control your powers and know how to use them. Something that only he can do, and it's a privilege that he can. However, he's blocked, lamenting and insisting in protecting you from your fate.

"That's why you fought?"

"Basically." Lara murmured in a dull voice.

Anna huffed. "Well, nonsense! Dad already promised to train me, he's given me some advice, and as soon as we get rid of this murderer who bothers us, and Aunt Selma has presented her thesis, everything will be ready. You only must reconcile and that's it!"

Wish it was that simple, Lara thought, dejected. "I promise I'll talk to him when we go back to Turkey. Actually, I had already decided so. Are you calmer now? Will you trust me?"

The comb stopped moving over her hair. The girl sighed. "Poor Dad. This is going to destroy him."

"What, Anna?"

She pressed the comb between her fingers. "No... I don't know if..."

Lara got up again, looked back at her daughter. Her face was wet, the drops of water forming pearls on her eyelids. Lara's eyes, of a very common brown compared to the beauty of her father's eyes, and of her own, were nonetheless impressive to look at. They had a force that could move the world.