Happy Birthday (Emily)

(Fluff) (Male Reader)

Emily woke with a big grin plastered on her face. It was the 27th of Spring, her birthday. That also means that she'll get a visit from her favorite farmer, (M/N). The two had shown interest in each other from the moment he arrived in Pelican Town. And after a year of getting to know one another, he presented her with a lovely bouquet and asked to date her, making them an official couple. Emily honestly couldn't think of a happier moment in her life.

However, even though it was her birthday, she still had responsibilities. She wasn't going to be a slacker. Getting up and getting dressed, she began her day.

(M/N) awoke at six o'clock on the dot, as he did every morning. Quickly taking care of his farm chores, he took up his pickaxe and sword, determined to find the perfect gift for the love of his life on her special day. He ran through town on his way to the mines. He was sure that he'd find a beautiful amethyst to give her, and no monsters were going to stand in his way.

After cutting down what seemed to be his hundredth slime, (M/N) gave an aggravated sigh. It had been hours since he had entered the mines, he couldn't even remember what floor he was on. All he knew was that there had been no signs of amethyst anywhere. Cracking open another stone with his trusty pickaxe, all he found was more coal. He growled in frustration, a sour look crossing his features.

Emily felt a shiver go down her spine as she carried a plate of food out of the kitchen of the Stardrop Saloon. She just felt an odd burst of negative energy. I hope nothing bad is going to happen today. She thought before shrugging it off. I'm sure it's nothing. It's my birthday after all, a day of happiness. The smile came back to her face as she handed the plate of spaghetti to Robin across the bar counter.

"Happy birthday, Emily!" Robin cheered. "I hope the day goes well for you!"

"Thank you for the well wishes, Robin!" Emily grinned. "My day has been great so far, but I'm still waiting for something."

"Ah, a gift from lover boy I assume?" Robin gave her a knowing look and laughed as Emily's cheeks turned crimson.

"Robin!" Emily buried her face in her hands. "Yes..." She mumbled. "I thought he would have visited me by now, but I haven't seen him all day." Her voice took on a confused and worried tone.

"Cheer up! Remember he is running a farm, there might've been something that needed his attention. I'm sure he'll be here as soon as he can be." Robin did her best to hand out some motherly advice.

Lifting her head from her hands, Emily smiled at Robin. "Thanks, that makes me feel a little bit better."

"Any time." Robin grinned and took Emily's hand, giving it a squeeze. "Now I better get going. Happy birthday again!"

"Thank you! Enjoy the spaghetti!" Emily called after Robin as she left the saloon.

"Still no sign of (M/N)?" Gus asked, walking out of the back room.

Emily sighed. "Not yet. I hope everything is okay."

"Come on! They aren't this rare!" (M/N) cried in anger as his sword sliced through a few bats. It had been hours. Hours! And he still hadn't found a single amethyst. He really didn't want to disappoint Emily on her birthday, but he was about to go insane. Maybe I should just give up... He sighed. But I can't do that, Emily will be so sad if I don't give her a gift. And I want to give her something that she loves. Newfound determination filling his soul, he descended further into the mines.

Time marched on, but it was all worth it in the end. Finally, (M/N) saw the glimmer of purple that he had been looking for. Carefully picking the gem from the rest of the stone, he held it up to the light and smiled. He tucked the stone safely away in his bag and looked at the time. His face paled. He had twenty minutes before midnight. Before Emily's birthday was officially over. He moved as fast as his legs could carry him. He had to get to the saloon.

Emily's eyes wandered to the clock the entire day. Despite everyone stopping by to wish her well on her special day, she still felt miserable. Seeing the faces of her friends was wonderful, and she had gotten a number of lovely gifts, but the one person she wanted to see still hadn't shown up.

Night had fallen over Stardew Valley and the stars were beginning to shine. Emily left the saloon and stepped out into the chilly night air and began her short walk home. Heart heavy and head hung low.

"Emily!" An exhausted voice called out. Lifting her gaze, Emily saw her beloved farmer running towards her. He was covered head to toe in dirt and bits of rubble, he seemed to have a cut on his cheek and his clothes were torn. Any frustration she might've held for him melted away in an instant. Now she was more worried than anything.

"(M/N)!" She rushed to his side. "(M/N) what happened to you?!" She asked in a panicked tone. Her eyes scanning him over for any serious injuries.

"Never mind that! What time is it?!" He asked, his tone also very anxious. "Actually, never mind, what's important is this!" Reaching into his bag he quickly pulled out a beautiful purple stone. Amethyst. "Happy birthday, Emily. I love you!"

Emily was frozen for a moment before tears began welling up in her eyes. "I thought you forgot about my birthday..." She whispered before wrapping him in a tight hug. "I'm so happy you remembered."

"Of course I remembered." (M/N) whispered back. "I'm sorry I'm so late. I didn't think it would take me that long to find amethyst in the mines."

Emily chuckled slightly. "So that's where you were all day."

"Yeah..." (M/N) responded sheepishly. "Again, I'm sorry I'm so late. I pretty much missed your birthday because of this." He sighed and buried his face in the crook of her neck.

"I forgive you. Just don't let it happen again, I was getting worried." She laughed. "But thank you, the stone is beautiful. I'm just happy I got to see you before my birthday ended." (M/N) smiled and pressed little kisses up her neck to her cheek.

"Happy birthday, my love."

~~

Prompt from Redlily on AO3