Starved

Sooo my power went out and it just came back ALSO YESTERDAY I WATCHED THE HATE U GIVE AND THAT SHIT MADE ME CRY but anyways here is another chapter losers❤️

Lena had gone through her life untouched, starved from its affection, only experienced with the handful of pain it brought.

Until Kara of course.

Who she halfheartedly attempted to scare off.

It was not entirely a failure.

There was definitely more distance between the two; no longer did they work as pairs for their shared classes, no longer did they get within five feet near each other unless it was absolutely necessary. But there were also the occasional greetings here and there, maybe small talk about classes.

Then Kara would struggle trying to refrain from hugging Lena or comforting her whenever it looked like a particular day was more tiresome than another, whenever the bags under her eyes were larger than usual, whenever her perpetual scowl frowned even further.

Or whenever a group of assholes decided to gang up on Lena.

The blonde still did keep a close eye though, and it seemed no one was being horribly physical with her.

But there was one day when Devlin decided to interrupt her reading and intentionally spilled his ice cold water all over her.

Kara was often so close to intervening until Lena gave her a warning look, and the blonde was torn, but knew it would be more beneficial for Lena's safety if she stayed uninvolved, remained a bystander.

What alarmed the Kryptonian the most was that she had never ever seen the Luthor eat since their passive showdown in the chemistry room with the aristocratic boys a day or two ago.

It was definitely not nutritious for high schoolers, who often had larger than life appetites.

At first, Kara assumed Lena ate before lunch, as several teachers allowed their students to eat their meals early, and she always had at least a small sandwich to get her through.

After five days, she noticed that what she had previously thought was not the case.

At last period, she heard Lena, whose eyes seemed impossibly darker from the bags, sluggishly move to plop down into her seat in the back, two desks over Kara's.

Lena's stomach growled, though quiet, it was still mortifying.

She didn't eat again. It's been almost a week.

The blonde's brows furrowed in concern as she watched the girl groggily wipe the exhaustion from her eyes and fumbled in her backpack to take out her textbooks.

During the entirety of the lecture, Lena was resting her swaying head on one hand, propped up with her elbow on the desk.

She was quickly nodding off to sleep before she felt a hand roughly knock her arm from under her and her head connected to the solid material of her desk.

Lena grunted in pain, rubbing the sore spot near her temple as she heard a few scattered chuckles sound in front of her.

She shook her head to keep herself more alert and went throughout the rest of last period hypervigilant and paranoid.

The Luthor let out a breath of relief when the bell rang and moved to collect her belongings. She stood up much too fast and felt the vertigo come on.

A pair of strong hands placed themselves on her shoulders and waist and held her steady.

"Are you okay?"

Lena recognized that voice, the only one that could sound so sweet and genuinely worried for a Luthor.