Chapter 8

When the both of you had gotten back, some of the reapers looked on in fear at the tall male that walked behind you. A couple of them parted as Komamura just followed nodding at the reapers around. You stopped when you saw Hisagi and Izuru running in your direction with their swords drawn.

"(Y/N) get back, we heard about a strange figure entering the Sereitei." Hisagi said as he flashstepped in front of you, holding his hands out protectively.

"Stay away from her!" Hisagi threatened as Izuru moved forward to back him up. You stood a couple feet behind trying to let them know he wasn't an enemy.

Komamura smiled slightly.

"I'm very grateful that you kept your promise Hisagi." Komamura spoke softly. Hisagi stumbled back in shock.

"W-What! W-Why do you sound like-" Hisagi's voice faltered

"It is him Hisagi, It's Komamura-taicho." you said softly with a smile. Hisagi's eyes trembled as he stared back at the furry looking male.

"B-But I-Iba-san said that you were...how did you..." you watched as his eyes had started to gloss up with tears. You knew losing Komamura had taken a great toll on Hisagi. He was always trying to be strong for you, but he never really had given himself time to grieve over the loss of his dear friend.

"It seems I've cause a great deal of pain while I was away, it was never my intention. After my battle my reiatsu was greatly diminished, I needed to recover. " Komamura explained kneeling down to the stunned reaper. A small trail of tears had ran down the side of Hisagi's face as he started sobbing lightly. Izuru looked over with a relieved smile placing a hand on Hisagi's shoulder.

"I-It's okay....I'm glad your back.." Hisagi wiped his face into his sleeve mumbling out those words as his shoulders continued to shake. Wiping the remainder of his tears he released a huff as he looked back up with a wide grin.

"W-Welcome back sir!" Hisagi exclaimed happily.

The scene warmed your heart. You were so relieved, for the first time in a while, you felt like maybe...just maybe things were going to be alright.

~Time Skip~

A lot of reapers had gathered when they heard the news of Komamura's return. Iba of course had bolted the minute he heard, needing to see for himself. You giggled when you saw his form jump over the large amount of reapers as he came hurtling in Komamura's direction.

"TAICHO!!!!" His voice echoed throughout the entire gotei. Iba clutched unto Komamura's leg rubbing his face against him as he cried animatedly.

Komamura chuckled loudly. "It's great to see you too Tetsuzaemon." Iba carried on as the reapers laughed happily.

When everyone had pretty much greeted him you and Komamura now stood before the current Head Captain.

The female Kuchiki stood with her sword strapped to her waist. Komamura stepped forward kneeling on one knee as he bowed respectfully.

"Head Captain." He spoke professional. Rukia nodded as she urged him to stand. "I must say, I'm elated that you are alive, from what I heard you were..." she trailed off when she saw your expression darken slightly.

Komamura gave a nod. "Yes, in all honesty I should be dead."

You gasped looking at him in horror. "W-What...?"

His gaze lowered. "This formed that I acquired was from my great grandfather. There was a price that came with taking it on. After my battle I reverted back into a mere animal, my reiatsu was completely spent. I could feel myself slipping away but then, there was this wave of energy that washed over me....I couldn't explain it but..... it felt like you (Y/N)." your eyes turned large.

"B-But I couldn't have.." you stopped when you remembered the day they had reported his death to you. A lot of things that had went on that day, it was blurry but you could feel it. Your reiatsu spilling over, the same way it had when you watched that hollow kill your parents.

"Your reiatsu, somehow it saved me." He stared at you intensely, eyes conveying every bit of thanks that he could.

Rukia had a surprised expression on her face before it turned back neutral. "I think I understand what happened. It could be the same as when Ichigo had saved me with his blade, however that worked because our reiatsu was already linked. He had initially gotten his abilities from mine. To my understanding, both of your energies must have been linked to each other, so when you felt him disappearing, your body created a lifeline for him to hold unto." Rukia stated.

You were a bit startled at the information. Maybe that's why it had taken you so long to accept he was gone. Deep down you could still feel him around, you were both still connected.

You couldn't stop the smile that made its way on your face as you took his large hand into your smaller one.

"Thank you (Y/N), for not giving up on me." He expressed squeezing your palm affectionately.

You grinned. "Thank you taicho..for coming back to me." you whispered lovingly.

You both had just stood there staring at each other as Rukia started to blush at the romantic scene.

"Why can't Renji be this cute." she grumbled internally.

Coughing into her fist she gained your attention as you turned scratching your head awkwardly.

"S-Sorry about that we got a little carried away."

Rukia shook her head. "There's no need to apologize." Her gazed looked serious as she continued.

"Komamura-san, I'm assuming you would like your old position back. Iba-san had been in line to become the new captain of squad seven, but he's been a bit hesitant on taking the spot."

Komamura looked overjoyed.

"It would be greatly appreciated. " He spoke hopefully. Rukia nodded.

"Very well, you will be reinstated as the captain of squad seven however, you are on leave for the time being. You have been through alot so it's necessary that you take some time for yourself." She instructed.

"Thank you Captain Kuchiki." he replied respectfully. You beamed happily as you ran over to Rukia pulling her into a hug.

"Your the best Ru-chan!!" you squealed. Rukia continued to blush cutely as she patted you on the head.

"I-It's really no problem." she said a bit embarrassed at your nickname for her. She had instructed Yachiru to stop coming up with such adorable names because they tended to catch on. She honestly liked hearing it, but in front of her fellow captains it was a bit embarrassing.

"Y-You both are dismissed, I wish you a good night's rest. " You pulled away with a smile running over to Komamura as you practically skipped out of the first squad barracks.

Rukia released a sigh as she watched you trail off with a smile.

"You need to be more stern with regards to how they address you." A voice spoke. Rukia flinched.

"N-Ni-sama?!" she said in surprise. He walked out of the shadows with his usual stoic expression.

She looked down nervously. "I-I'll try harder next time." she stuttered directing her gaze to the ground. Even now she still felt as if she needed to prove her strength to him.

Byakuya watched her closely before he moved forward placing a hand on her head, petting her lightly.

"Your doing a great job, Head Captain." Byakuya spoke softly. Rukia looked up in awe sparkles gathering in her eyes.

"A-Arigatou, N-Ni-sama.." she said with a small giggle.