Twelve

"No way, we are not going there."

  "Dan, you don't really have a choice, there aren't any other jobs. At least, not any for Phil's skill level."

  "Just give us one for my level then, I can handle it."

  "Phil has to be the one that does it, you know that. And he won't know how to do one on your level."

  Dan sighed loudly, running his hands through his hair for about the millionth time as he paced PJs room. They had been at it for half an hour now, with PJ trying to convince Dan to take the only available job for them, and Dan vehemently disagreeing. "You have no idea what it'll do to him." Dan murmured. 

  "If I could do something about it, you know I would." PJ said, watching him sadly. "But there's no other way we can go. It's either this...or he leaves." 

  Dan paused in his pacing, his eyes closed in frustration. "I bet they did this on purpose, those bastards." He muttered.

  "You really need to stop bad mouthing them, Dan." PJ said. "They aren't that horrible."

  "Maybe not to you, but it's like they have some personal vendetta against me."

  "Wonder why that might be...." PJ said, rolling his eyes.

  "I can go with him though, right?" Dan asked, changing the subject.

  "Yes, you can. But you can't start distracting him from the job, you know."

  Dan snorted. "What makes you think I'd do that?"

  PJ glared at him pointedly, and Dan smiled innocently.

  "I suggest you go ahead and tell him." PJ said. "I'm sure he wouldn't want to know last minute."

  "Aw, can't you do it?" Dan whined, pouting slightly and whipping out the puppy dog eyes, but PJ only smiled at him and walked away, out of the room and leaving Dan alone.

  Dan had no idea if Phil would be up for this. He was already in pretty unstable condition, he surely didn't need any more stress put on him. But Dan also knew that he had no choice. If he didn't do this, Phil wouldn't be able to stay and Dan would be damned if his own selfishness made Phil leave.

  And so he took a deep breath, putting away all his worry and frustration, and left PJs room, heading back towards his own where Phil was waiting for him.

  Phil was sitting up on their bed when he walked in, reading what looked like a really heavy book, but he looked up when Dan appeared.

  "Hey." He said, smiling slightly and setting the book to the side. He'd really gotten better these last few days, Dan had noticed. He wasn't completely back to his old self, but he was damn close, and that's all Dan needed. "Did you talk to Peej, then?"

  "Yep." Dan said, sitting down next to him on the mattress. "Said they had a job for you."

  "Oh. Well that's good, right? Where is it, when do we start?"

  Dan paused. "Uh, you can pretty much start whenever you want. There isn't really a set date." He hesitated again, leaning his head back against the wall and staring up at the ceiling. "It's in Manchester."

  "Really?" Phil said, and Dan nodded. "And you are coming with me, yeah?"

  "Course I am." Dan said, looking over at him. He still look exhausted, the dark marks under his eyes making a statement against his pale skin, but there was this light in his eyes that made up for it.

  "Good." Phil said, leaning his head on Dan's shoulder. Dan reached out and took his hand, twining their fingers together tightly. They didn't say anything to each other for a while, just sitting in the silence peacefully together. Dan was having a mental battle with himself, on how to bring up the subject he so badly wanted to avoid.

  "I don't, want to stress you out or anything," He started slowly. "But there is something I need to tell you."

  Phil shifted slightly. "Well that doesn't worry me at all. What is it?"

  "It's just.....this job, there's something you should know before you actually get into it."

  "And what's that?" Phil asked, anxiously.

  "It's your dad." Dan rushed out. "Your real one, I mean."

                      ******************************************************

  a/n: Well, this is a surprise, isn't it?

  What's up guys, Courtney here with a brand new chapter of In Between. Now that Find Me Again is finished, I thought I'd start on finishing these other stories, and this seemed to be on demand, so....

  That's it, really, hope you guys still like this, I know I haven't been keeping up with it, but it shall be finished.

  Alright, peace :33