Six

Day Two (Phil's POV)

  Excruciating pain.

  That was really the only thing that Phil could percept. It was an intense burning sensation, mixed also with  a sharp stinging, like someone stabbing him with a white hot needle. It was uncomfortable, to say the least.

  And the worst part was that he was awake the entire time. He'd thought that they were going to at least knock him out or something. but he was concious the entire time, and he tried his hardest to not let the pain to get to him, but he couldn't stop the occasional groan, and once even a loud scream, from escaping.

  Dan had been so right about this. Phil in no way was prepared for the agony he was being put through, and he just wanted someone to kill him, and make it stop.

  While he lay there, on the cold hard stone of the table, the Highers all surrounded him. It seemed like some kind of satanic ritual, the way they were chanting, in some language he couldn't recognize, he guessed Latin.

  "Superior potestas terribilis parit. Dolor est, sed magis pecuniae." One of them said, and as they did, pain exploded in Phil's head, and he cried out.       "Iter est diu prospere."

  He was breathing hard, and his whole body was aching, but he hadn't once tried to quit, no matter how much he wanted to. Because every time the thought crossed his mind, Dan's face came into his concious. He was doing this all for him, he wasn't going to be a coward and throw that all away. It had been his idea anyway.

  When Dan had left yesterday, Phil had stayed where he was, standing awkwardly and waiting for the Highers to say something. He'd stood what seemed like hours before they stopped moving stuff around and told him to come lay on the large table in the middle of the room. Swallowing nervously, he did as they instructed and they proceeded to strap him dowm, tightly too. He hadn't been to worried then, it was when they cut him that he got really scared.

  A long, jagged knife had appeared out of nowhere, it was at least a foot. He knew exactly what they were gonna do with it, and gasped when they sliced into his calf, straight through his jeans. It had stung horribly, but it was nothing compared to the pain he was going through currently.

  After the incision, they placed a bowl under the flowing drops of blood, and started the chanting. He was wondering how the hell this was going go change him into a Reaper, when the torturing pain started, in his head at first then travelling through his whole body.

It had been a whole day, and they'd sliced into his leg two more times and in various other places in order to keep the red liquid flowing, he'd thought he'd be dry by now.

  "Are you still with us, Phillip?" He heard one of them say, and he nodded slightly, still gritting his teeth at the sting in his head. His clothes were ripped and bloody, his entire body was covered in sweat, and his head hurt like a bitch, but he sure he was going to survive. Maybe.

  "Good to hear. We are going to start the blood transfusion now, and a fair warning, it is much worse than what you have been going through. Are you positive you still want to continue?" He nodded again.

  After a minute he felt about three or four needles being inserted into his arms and chest......

  .......and that's when the fire in his veins started.

                                  *****************************

  Dan's POV

  Day two wasn't any better than the first.

  He had gotten some sleep, admittedly, but he was still depressed and sour the next day. He decided not to leave the room, so that nobody would hate him anymore than they probably already did.

  He was curled up under the blanket, trying not to throw anything across the room in frustration. Why had he agreed to let this happen? He could have persuaded Phil to just not go along with it, or they could.have just stayee back in the human world. But no, he'd had to let his stupid desire to go back get in the way and now he hated everything and everyone.

  He was thinking of different ways he could torture and kill various people, when someone knocked on the door.

  "Go away." He said, loud enough for the person to hear, but the door opened anyway. He mentally groaned when he saw PJ, with Chris trailing behind him. He glared at them, but they entered anyway.

  "You know, its not very healthy to stay locked in your room all day." PJ said, as he sat next to Dan on the bed and Chris headed to the chair by his desk.

  "Its not very healthy for you to exist." Dan replied, but PJ only smiled.at him.

  "Come on, stop being such a stiff shirt, and face the world and all it has to throw at you."

  "The world can come and lick the inside of my-"

  "Dan."

  "Sorry, its just....Phil being gone.....I don't like it, and I keep thinking of what they could possibly be doing to him."

  "You know what they're doing to him, you went through it yourself." PJ said, and Dan sighed, sitting up and letting the blanket fall from around his face.

  "Yeah, but that doesn't stop me from thinking the worst. I love him, Peej, so fucking much, and.......I keep thinking that maybe he won't make it, maybe he's not strong enough, and I go crazy with these thoughts. Its so stupid, really, cause I know he's strong enough. I don't know...."

  "I know we don't really know each other Dan," Chris interjected, and Dan looked over at him in surprise. ", but worrying about Phil isn't going to do anything good. You'll just drive yourself mad with worry and axiousness, and nothing good ever comes from that. The best thing to do would be to try and not think about it, and soon enough it'll all be over."

  Dan sat for a minute, twisting his fingers together and staying quiet. He knew that Chris was right, but he couldn't help it. The bad thoughts just kept coming, and he couldn't find a way to to stop them, matter how hard he tried. It was silent between all three of them, before PJ stood up, grabbing Chris's hand.

  "We only came to check up on you, Dan. We really are worried for you, and so are a lot of others. Just....try and hang in there. Don't do anything stupid." PJ said.

  "Like what?" Dan asked him curiously, but he didn't answer, just stared at him.

  "We'll see you later, 'kay? Bye." And they both left, the door closing after them loudly and resounding throughout the room.

  Dan sat for a moment, going through the whole encounter in his mind, before sighing and wrapping his blanket securely around him once more.

                                *******************************

a/n: This was actually a quick update, right? I feel like it was........