impress me

wills pov

it was a saturday evening and everyone was in mikes basement once again, playing d&d. by everyone i mean me, mike, dustin and lucas. mike still wasn't fused on max so she never has and probably never will be invited down here. eleven always spent time with hopper on a saturday evening since that was the only day he had off in the week. so tonight, it was just me and three of my best friends.

this was my favourite part of the week. partly because i get to go out on my own without my mum freaking out about my safety but the main reason i love it is because i get to spend more time with mike...oh, and dustin and lucas too.

it was around 9pm and lucas had just left. that left me, dustin and mike alone in the dark, dusty basement. we were talking about some random things since we had finished playing d&d a while ago. at this moment, i was feeling really anxious. dustin knows about my feelings towards mike. he's the only person who knows too and i'm really worried that he'll tell mike how i feel. if mike ever found out, i would probably just...die. i can't describe it any other way. i don't want to ruin my friendship with mike, it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. i don't know what i'd do without him. if i can only be friends with him, that's fine, i just never want to lose him...not again...

mikes pov

i was talking about something that i had done the other day. i had nothing else for us to do and i wanted to impress wil- my friends.

"so wait, you got to the top of the tree in the park? but that tree is literally bigger than your house!" will exclaimed, almost falling off his chair in excitement.

"bet you had some trouble getting down, didn't you wheeler" said dustin, smirking.

"no! i didn't actually."

"did you even get up there in the first place?."

there was an awkward silence. i mean, i did, just not to the top. maybe i only got to the first branch...but neither of them needed to know that.

"o-of course i did, w-what d-do you me-mean" i stuttered, scared that i'll make a fool out of myself.

dustin looked at will for a second. will's eyes widened for a second, as if telling him to stop. dustin didn't listen to him.

"or are you just trying to impress will"."

i looked at will and saw him plant his face into his hands. even though his hands were covering his face, i could see he had gone bright red. even i could feel my face heating up and all i managed to do was look down at the cold, concrete floor.

"no, i'm not" i whispered, loud enough for the others to hear.

dustin put his hand to his ear.

"what's that mike? you were?! what a shocker."

me and will look at each other, still flustered about what dustin had said. dustin coughed.

"you've been staring at each other for like five minutes guys, you do know i'm right here?"

i saw a small smirk appear on dustin's lips when all of a sudden, my mum appeared from around the basement stairs telling him his mum had arrived to take him home.

"bye guys, have fun, but not to much fun."

he smirked, turned the corner and he was out the door.

third person pov

after the basement door was closed, an awkward silence filled the air. mike and will were still taken aback after what had just happened. neither boy had no idea what to say or what to do next...until the smaller boy's small voice suddenly echoed in the room.

"were y-you really-y trying to impress m-me?"

mike's eyes suddenly focused on will. his eyes suddenly met the floor again, too embarrassed to say anything.

"i-i m-mean."

mike's words were suddenly cut off by a pair of soft lips touching his.

"i'm sorry, i'll go."

as will made his way up the staircase, he felt a hand grab his and turn him back around. lips were suddenly on top of his. will suddenly realised what was happening and kissed back.

both boys pulled away, gasping for breath. even so, mike managed to get our 5
words.

"i love you...will byers"

"i love you too mike wheeler..."