broken

wills pov

i was sitting in my last lesson of the day, english. it was only 40 more minutes of this torture and it was the weekend. i couldn't wait to get home and just do...nothing really. i'll probably just stay at home and draw for the next two days. other teenagers do that...right?

the teacher was going on about something to do with shakespeare and honestly, i couldn't care less. i hate shakespeare, none of it makes sense! why did shakespeare use words like thou and thy? did he ever think about whether people in the future would understand his plays? i know this is the old english language but it's just so confusing, just like english now.

english is my least favourite subject to be honest. i don't mind the subject itself, i just hate my teacher, mr thomas. he's very homophobic and worst of all, he knows i'm gay. and guess who told him? troy harrington, my bully since kindergarden, the person that hates me the most. since mr thomas found out, he's treated me so different. he's always hated me but this just tipped him over the edge. while teaching, he's brought up gays and how being gay was a sin. during these talks, he'd just stare me straight in the eyes. the look always made me shiver in fear, it was as if i couldn't look away. it was if he was trying to turn me straight just by looking at me. he'd even forced me to sit in the middle of two girls. i remember him bending down and whispering to me "this will help you byers".

i turn around a little so i can see my crush, mike wheeler.

i've always liked mike. ever since i met him on the first day of kindergarden. as soon as i saw him, i thought he was so cute. obviously i didn't understand that i was gay back then, but now i do. each day, i seem to fall for him even more. i mean, who couldn't like him? everything about him is perfect. from his brown, curly locks to his amazing personality, his adorable freckles to his chocolate brown eyes... that probably sounded so embarrassing but whatever guy or girl had him would be so lucky. that lucky person, eleven, my own sister.

i looked down in between the seats and saw mike and eleven holding hands. i wanted to look away but i just couldn't. i just stared at their hands, wishing that was me instead of eleven. she suddenly turned so she was facing mike and she just leaned in. i can't even say what happened next but it felt like my heart shattered. i didn't want to break down in class, i just couldn't. i turned back around and tried to wipe the tears from my eyes that were slowly rolling down my cheeks.

as soon as the bell went off, i sprinted out of the classroom, not even turning around when dustin called my name. i got to my bike, eyes getting watery again. i clambered onto my bike and rode back to my house as fast as i could, the wind making it hard for me to see. i threw my bike on the floor and flung through the door, not even bothering to close it.

"will? what's wrong?"

jonathan came out of his room and saw the tears that were starting to fall down my face. i rushed towards him and hugged him so tight. he didn't complain. we just stood there as i sobbed into his chest while the voice in my head was shouting "he doesn't want you, he never will".