Chapter 34

Louis tapped on his bedroom door and then entered catching Sharon by surprise.

"My mom sorted out some of Alice's clothes for you to wear," he said passing his sister's clothes to Sharon. "They'll probably be a bit big."

"That's fine," Sharon said taking the clothes from him. "Where is your mom?"

"She's gone to church, dad's downstairs though." He grimaced and Sharon knew exactly what he was thinking.

"I should get going, I need to get my keys back and I need to call Paulette. I don't want to fall out with her." If they didn't clear the air she knew the whole thing would get blown up out of all proportion.

"You can call from here, and then we'll go get your stuff from Johnny's," Louis said.

"Okay." Sharon paused, frowning slightly. "Can you go away, I don't want you watching me get dressed."

Louis raised his eyebrow. "Seriously? Will you say that when we're married?"

Sharon flushed. "Well we're not married yet, and I'm in your bedroom, and your dad's downstairs. It's totally inappropriate."

Louis chuckled. "Okay, I'll see you downstairs in a few minutes."

Sharon breathed a sigh of relief as he left the room, the past twenty-four hours had been strange, to say the least. She held Alice's dress against herself, it was easily more than a size too big, but it was clean so she couldn't complain.

***

Sharon put the phone down and turned to Louis, almost dumbstruck. "You are not going to believe what Dolores just told me."

"Davey proposed?" Louis asked smirking.

Sharon couldn't raise a smile. "Paulette and Michael were in an accident last night. He was giving her a ride home and they came off his bike."

The smile left Louis's face. "Are they alright?"

"Paulette's in hospital, Dolores thinks Michael is as well but she was hazy on the details. I guess she's in shock." She took a few deep breaths, letting the news sink in. "Do you think we should go to the hospital? I feel like we should but Paulette probably won't want to see me, if she's even allowed visitors yet."

Louis shrugged. "We should go get your stuff from Johnny's first. See what he has to say."

"He's probably at the hospital."

"You reckon? The way things were when we left I bet he split up with Paulette."

"Even if he did, surely he'd go to the hospital," Sharon said frowning. It would be really low of Johnny not to even check up on her.

"Let's go get your stuff, we'll find out more if Johnny's home, or if he isn't," Louis said grabbing a set of keys. "I'll ask my dad if I can borrow his car."

He left the living room and Sharon could hear a grumbled exchange coming from the kitchen. A few moments later Louis was back. "Are you ready?" he asked holding the car keys aloft and Sharon stood up feeling strangely apprehensive.

***

Sharon sat back in her seat as Louis parked up outside of Johnny's house, her fingers knotted together

"Are you getting out?" Louis asked frowning slightly.

She bit her lip, facing forward. "I can't Louis, if Johnny's home he's going to blame me, I know it."

"Don't be stupid, why would he blame you?"

Sharon swallowed. "Because it's partly my fault Paulette was so upset. We shouldn't have told her we were engaged, and the whole party thing...you were right. Deep down I think I knew she'd be disappointed, I should have warned Johnny."