Chapter 25

Sharon stopped by the Bowlarama on her way home from college hoping to catch Rhonda on her break. She bought a coke and then sat down at one of the tables keeping an eye out for Rhonda. Eventually, she came out of the kitchen carrying a cloth, and Sharon beckoned her over.

"Can't you leave that for two minutes," she said as Rhonda began to wipe down the tables.

Rhonda shook her head impatiently. "I'm working."

"You're wiping clean tables," Sharon said. "Ok, come clean mine. I spilt a bit of my drink." 

Rhonda rolled her eyes but she joined her anyway. "Right you have two minutes," she said looking at her watch.

"I need your help with Paulette's party," Sharon said speaking rapidly. "I know you don't want to get involved but I can't do it all by myself, and Steph won't help. I'll sort out the guest list but I need someone to help me sort out the food and drinks on the day."

Rhonda groaned. "Johnny should do this himself. She's his girlfriend."

"I know but I said I'd help, and Johnny would mess it up. He'd invite his friends and all the girls he fancies. It's supposed to be a surprise party, Paulette would soon clock on that it was happening." She looked at Rhonda sensing she was wavering. "Please Rhonda, if not for Paulette then do it for me."

"You should have said no," Rhonda grumbled, and Sharon bit her lip hiding a smile.

"Does that mean you'll help?"

Rhonda sighed. "I guess but I'll only help with the stuff on the day. I don't want to be involved with anything else."

"That's fine," Sharon said relaxing. "Paulette deserves to have a nice birthday, she's pretty upset about what you and Steph told her the other day."

Rhonda had been hovering, ready to go back to work but she sat down now looking interested. "She pretty much told me and Steph that she'd known all along."

"Of course she didn't! That's why you told her, wasn't it?" Sharon had been itching to bring it up, thinking their whole approach was terrible. If they'd consulted her first none of it would have happened.

"Steph thought she should know," Rhonda said. "Before she got in too deep."

"Right," Sharon mused taking a sip of her drink. "You don't think that's cos Johnny's her ex and she still feels territorial?"

Rhonda spluttered. "Don't be stupid, she can barely tolerate him." 

Sharon raised her eyebrows. "That's what I thought but it seems a bit weird to go interfere in your ex's relationship like that. Personally, I wouldn't go there. It comes across as being jealous." Rhonda stared at her open-mouthed and Sharon shrugged. She did think she had a point though.

  ***

"So your mom won't be back till tomorrow?" Louis asked Sharon as she let him through the front door. She'd called him as soon as the coast was clear, and judging by his damp hair he'd come around having barely finished getting ready.

Sharon closed the door behind him. "It's Friday night, she won't be back in a hurry." In all likelihood she'd see very little of her mom all weekend which was a blessed relief. She swore she'd made her mouth bleed more than once as she'd tried not to react to her mom's snide comments.

"Ok, well I'll go before it gets too late, just in case she's got the neighbours watching," Louis said as she led him through to the living room.

Sharon bristled. "Way to make me feel like a slut," she said and Louis looked bewildered.

"Sharon, I don't want you getting in more trouble, that's all."

"If you say so," she said sitting down.

"You've been in a really funny mood lately," Louis said frowning. "What's up?" She inhaled deeply letting her irritation build up, why did she have to spell everything out for him?

"It's ok for you, no one's on your back all the time, my life is a living hell." She glared at him and she was sure he was trying not to smile.

"It's not that bad, your mom's not even here," Louis said putting his arm around her.

"You wouldn't know," she said shrugging his arm off her shoulder. "Your parents know nothing but even if they had figured it out, they wouldn't care." Let him deny that!

"Yeah you're right," he said with a sigh. "But that's why I won't stay too late, so your mom doesn't have another reason to have a go at you."

She nodded and Louis put his arm around her shoulder again.

"Why don't we go upstairs?" he suggested and she pulled herself out of his grasp.

"Way to make me feel like a slut for the second time," she hissed and he sat back looking annoyed.

"Do you want me to go?" She bit her lip suddenly feeling terrible, she wanted to be with him and yet she couldn't help feeling resentful.

"Do what you want," she murmured. "Johnny's coming around anyway to try and make some headway with the plans for Paulette's party."

"What!" Louis sounded outraged and she couldn't help allowing herself a smile.

"You heard," she said mildly. "Paulette thinks he's working late so we can make a start on this."

"I couldn't care less what Paulette thinks," Louis snapped and Sharon flinched. "You're not spending Friday night by yourself with Johnny Nogerrelli."

Sharon spluttered. "I don't see the problem, you and Johnny spend time by yourselves and I'm supposed to be ok with it. So what's the difference?"

"It is different, and you know it," Louis insisted.

"Well stay with me then," Sharon said her voice more placatory, she wasn't sure why she was trying to wind Louis up but she didn't want it to escalate.

"So what have to even got to organise?" Louis asked grudgingly.

Sharon sat back with her notepad and leaned against him. "I'm not entirely sure. I've done a guest list but Johnny wants to clear it, and then there's more the practical side as far and food and drinks and decorations go. I don't know if his mom will let us use her kitchen or if I'll have to make the stuff here and find a way to get it to his house."

"I don't know why you even agreed to it," Louis said folding his arms. "I told him not to ask you."

"It'll be fun," Sharon said trying to inject some enthusiasm into her voice, and Louis grimaced at her.

"You won't even get a thank you. Not from Johnny or Paulette."

"Maybe not," she said feeling a bit hurt now that he'd pointed it out. "But I never do anyway. Look at the talent show." All the girls had wanted to do it, well not so much Steph, and they'd left her to do all the leg work whilst they did the fun stuff.

"And that's why you should have said no," Louis said attempting to put his arm around her for the third time. "I don't want Johnny taking advantage of you."

"I won't let him," she said leaning over to kiss him. Her lips had barely touched his when there was a loud rap at the door. Sharon jumped back and Louis groaned.

"I can't believe you arranged this for tonight."

Sharon stood up, adjusting her clothes. "It won't take long, I promise."

She headed to the door and opened it expectantly. However it wasn't Johnny who was stood on her doorstep, it was Paulette.

***