Chapter 32: Nobody Likes a Sleepy Alex (Edited)

Rubbing the sleep off my eyes, I heard the doorbell ring from downstairs.

I felt for my phone under the duvet and checked the time. It was past lunch which meant that mom wasn't home and my brother was at his friend's house.

This is great. I get to stay at home alone and chill in bed with a book and cup of coffee.

The doorbell rang again. Twice.

Oh, right. There was still a person outside the door.

I quickly jumped out of bed to open the door. It suddenly dawned on me that I was just in tennis shorts and a really thin tank top.

Before leaving my room, I grabbed an oversized hoodie and changed into leggings. Then I turned my bird's nest into a somewhat neat bun on my head.

The doorbell rang again. Four times.

"Alright! I'm coming!" I screamed, jogging down the stairs.

I finally yanked the door open, to reveal an annoyed Hayley carrying two paper bags of what looked like groceries.

"Great. You finally got the door. Took you long enough," she laughed.

"Sorry. I just woke up," I replied, stepping aside to let her in.

"Well, obviously. Your hair's a mess on your head." She nodded at the bun I tried tying in five seconds.

"Well, if you weren't too persistent in ringing the doorbell, I could've made my hair look more presentable," I replied, following Hayley to the kitchen.

I helped her unpack the items onto the kitchen island counter.

There were multiple bags of potato chips, popcorn, and cookies, as well as jars of Nutella and marshmallows.

"Are we marathoning today?" I asked.

"Yep. I invited the guys over too." Hayley winked. "It's gonna be fun."

Wait a minute. Did she just say -

"You invited the guys over?" I asked, whisper-shouting.

"Uh, yeah. You were home alone so I figured you need company." Hayley shrugged her shoulders.

"I appreciate the concern Hales, but I would've been just fine with you in the house."

"Oh please. I may be a complete package of fun, but the guys will make everything more fun. Trust me, you won't regret it."

"Hayley, do have any idea of how mad my mom will when she sees three guys plus the two of us crowding in my room?"

"Lex, we both know how much of an angel your mom is. I'm a hundred percent positive she'll be totally fine with it."

Damn it. I forgot how well Hayley knew my mom. She was practically my sister.

"Alright, fine. Just know I'll be putting down some rules," I replied, crossing my arms.

"Seriously, Lex? You hate rules."

I ignored that comment and started listing all my ground rules.

"Rule number 1, absolutely, under no circumstances, are we watching any horror movies."

What? I hate horror movies. Especially at night or with the three guys to spook me.

"Rule number 2, my bed is off limits except for you, Hales."

"Alright, go on." Hayley laughed.

"Rule number 3, no pranks."

"Rule number 4, nobody takes food from the kitchen without my permission."

"And rule number 5, I always get the final say. My house, my rules."

Hayley gave me a humorous look.

"Alright, Lex. Have it your way."

Hayley threw the bags into the recycling bin for paper then took the fresh bowl of buttered popcorn from the microwave.

Just as I finished emptying the last bag of potato chips into a large plastic bowl, the doorbell rang again. This time more times than I could count. I was so close to cutting off the wire to disable that horrid ringing thing.

Groaning, I dragged my body to the door.

"Quit playing with the doorbell!" I screamed. "I just woke up and nobody likes to mess with a sleepy Ale -"

I opened the door only to be greeted by Dylan carrying a bunch of DVDs and hard drives, Chase smiling at me, and Dave continually pressing the doorbell.

"Hey, Alex," Dave frowned, "does your doorbell work? It doesn't seem to be making a sound."

"Of course it's working," I huffed. "It's the only thing I can hear in the house!"

"Then why can't I hear it?" He asked, almost shouting.

"Try taking your headphones off, dummie," Dylan laughed, pushing past me to let himself in.

"Oh," Dave sheepishly smiled. "Sorry."

He went in after Dylan, leaving Chase and I alone on the front porch.

"Hey, princess." Chase wrapped his arms around my waist and placed a soft, lingering kiss on my forehead.

I buried my face against his chest and sighed.

Chase chuckled. He pulled back slightly, creating a small space between us.

Lifting up one hand, he curled his fingers around my neck and slowly inched his face closer to mine. Our faces were so close now that I could feel his breath tickling my nose.

"I missed you," he whispered.

I blushed. How does he always manage to make me speechless?

"We've been seeing each other everyday in school, Chase."

"I know," he smiled, "but I still missed you."

His smile was driving me insane. We were already so close, but for some reason I wanted us to be closer. I hugged him tighter and leaned in even closer.

God, I really wanted to kiss him.

Chase raised an eyebrow and smirked.

"You know," he whispered slowly, "all you have to do is say please."

His voice sent a series of chills down my spine.

I angled my face in such a way that if Chase were to move closer, our lips would finally touch.

Chase smiled smugly.

Before I could land a peck on his lips, I completely pulled back and stepped away.

"The others are waiting." I laughed at Chase's reaction. His face was somewhere in between shocked and disappointed.

Quickly recovering, he slowly walked towards me. Before entering the house, he stopped to stand beside me.

He leveled his mouth to my ear and whispered, "I'll get you later for that, princess."