Right?

The sound of voices coming from every corner rose even louder as we walked inside. I shut the heavy front doors behind us. Like normal, I felt everyone's stares. Almost instantly, it became overwhelming as I turned my unseeing eyes to my shoes.

Kelsey must've noticed, because she gently asked, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, quickening my stride a little bit. I was honestly a bit nervous, because I knew that I'd have to confront Jonathan again, and I didn't exactly want to. Almost exactly on cue, I heard Jonathan's voice echo from down the hall.

"Hey, Zach," he sneered, emphasizing my name through his speech.

I sighed, slowly lifting my head in frustration. "What do you want, Jonathan?"

"Just saying hello," he bounced back. "Not being very friendly today or something?"

I was at a loss for words, unsure how I should respond. Before I could react, I felt a hard shove, sending me into the lockers against the wall. I didn't retaliate, because one, I I didn't want to start a fight, and two, I wouldn't be able to defend myself that well. I could feel the stab of pain shoot through my ribs, but it's gotten to the point that I've gotten used to this.

"That's enough, Jonathan," I heard Kelsey pipe up. "You've already almost drowned him."

Jonathan's voice turned extremely hostile as he responded, "Oh, so that's what this is about?"

Kelsey didn't say another word, so he continued without hesitation, threatening her, "You'd better keep your words to yourself, or you'll regret it."

"Leave her alone," I blurted out, suddenly feeling extremely protective over her. "Don't you dare speak to her that way."

I heard Jonathan pause for a minute, figuring out what to say. I wasn't expecting him to threaten a girl like that, and it really was getting on my nerves. I was furious.

"Fine," Jonathan spat as he stormed off, noting over his shoulder, "I warned you."

My sightless eyes were full of anger as he left, and I willed myself to calm down. Then again, he wasn't going to threaten a girl on my watch. It's one thing if it's me, but it's another if it's towards someone else, especially Kelsey.

"You okay?" Kelsey's clear voice asked again, after we were sure that Jonathan had left. She must've noticed my expression.

"I'm alright?" I inquired, my tone completely changing to my normal, gentler one. "But don't let him say those things to you," I suddenly remarked, surprising myself. "If he does, you tell me.. Please.."

"Okay..," she replied, sounding confused, but her tone was confident.

Kelsey's P.O.V.

"Why were you not letting me help him?" I questioned Amelia quite loudly before having lunch. "It was life or death for crying out loud!"

The anger was boiling in my veins. If Amelia was a true friend to me, then she would've let me help another. Instead, she forced me away to watch the whole thing, and it was absolutely horrifying.

"Sorry," she snapped. "It was a mistake."

The sarcasm in her voice was strong as she continued, "Plus, I thought you said he was a freak."

"But he's not!" I yelled, much louder than I meant it to be.

I froze, witnessing the stares of people in the cafeteria fall upon me. Honestly, I didn't care anymore. I was going to stand up for what's right. I wasn't exactly sure what to say, so Amelia piped up.