21: Interruption.

Name: Jamie
Location: Rapid City, old warehouse
Time: 1300

“-We use teams to make the deliveries. How many papers are you wanting to deliver to each location?” Mark asked. It had been three days since we arrived, and we were making progress.

I looked down at my list. It had thirty-four different locations written on it, some cities, some towns. “Well, it kinda depends on the area. If we can get an approximate population count that would be great.” Part of me cringed at the idea of giving them more work, but Mark readily nodded, typing away at his computer, finding the information for me.

I stood and went over to the chart on the wall. It was my map, with a large sheet of paper next to it. On the paper was a graph listing each location, and the type of delivery.

Some already had the exact place chosen, but I was only a third done deciding that detail. Next was the amount of articles, then the launch date. Sometime between now and then I would have to figure out which article to send.

I frowned as I studied the chart, then pulled out another sheet of paper and wrote out the articles I was choosing between, giving each a very brief description so I would remember them all. There was one offering hope, another offering answers, and another giving history. All were really good for this, but there was too much material to put it all out together.

“I’ve got the populations for fifteen locations. Our tech team is still finding the rest.” Mark’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

“They’re fast. I could get used to having a crew to help me out.” I admired, turning around to face him. Ray had generously borrowed us the use of his office for several hours while he was out, tending to other things.

“You usually do it on your own?” He asked, looking up.

“Mostly, I send the articles to several different people, alternating randomly, then they use their brilliant tech to get them put out without being traced.” I replied. I lowered my gaze to the floor, frowning as I thought. Might work, but which location needs what?

I moved back to sit behind the desk, finding the articles on my laptop and scanning them again, refreshing myself on what they each contained.

I turned to a fresh page in my notebook and stared at the screen, not really reading, just thinking.

Suddenly a quiet chuckle interrupted me. I looked up to see Mark watching with an amused expression. “What?”

“You like being intense, don’t you?”

I felt a smile tug at the corner of my mouth as I glanced back town at the screen. “You haven’t seen anything yet. I would love to setup a permanent headquarters. I only wish I had set something up when it was still safe to do so.”

“What would your dream headquarters look like?”

Now I smiled for real, having pondered the question many times. “A wrap-around desk for sure. A big window on one wall with shelves for lots of plants. A rolling whiteboard for immediate projects, and large cork boards on one or two walls for mapping out projects.” I paused, mentally building the room.

“The third wall would be the wall where the door is, a TV mounted on the wall and a snack bar beneath it. The fourth would have my desk against it, and a bookshelf. The middle of the room would have a fluffy rug and two or three comfy chairs, with a coffee table. The coffee table would have a large puzzle on it. The entire room would have inspirational quotes on the walls, plants scattered all around.” I paused again, picturing it. Several pieces were missing.

“There would also be one of those colorful, multi-head floor lamps. Oh! And a big ceiling fan in the middle of the room…” I suddenly realized I’d been talking several minutes and stopped, blinking as the image faded from sight.

Mark was still watching me, slightly amused. “Sounds like a very comfortable and productive workspace.” He finally commented.

“Yeah, it would be. I forgot to mention a nice speaker system.” I frowned at myself, adding it to my mental blueprint.

Mark chuckled. “Can’t forget those.”

“Never.” I agreed, then glanced back at the chart on the wall. He had totally distracted me with the simple question. Donutes and ice cream, that’s what the kitchen would mostly contain. And oreos, chocolate milk… Better stop and add fruit and crackers or I’ll get fat. Ooh… and shredded turkey, cheese… Okay, that’s too much, I’ll start living in my office at this rate.

I realized I was smiling again and glanced at Mark. He’d caught me daydreaming. I frowned at him. “Now you got me dreaming instead of working.” I complained.

“Sorry, I didn’t know you could get sidetracked so easily.” He defended himself, still smiling.

“Only when it comes to my dreams.”

“Never knew an office could invoke so much excitement.”

“Well your profession doesn’t require one, so why would you understand the priority a good workspace should have.” I replied. “I’ll bet you have dreams for what your plane would be like if you could spend the money into it.”

His eyes grew a little distant and his smile widened. “Yeah, I suppose so.”

Suddenly the door burst open. We both jumped, Mark drawing his weapon and having it leveled on the intruder before the guy’s eyes even had time to find us. It was one of the believers who was living in the warehouse. He raised his hands. Mark lowered the gun, standing.

“We’ve got trouble.”

“What is it?”

The guy hesitated. “It’s Gracie.”

My gaze shot over to Mark. His spine had straightened at the name, his eyes betraying his fears. Then he was moving, leading the way out of the room as me and the other guy tried to keep up. “What’s happened?”

“Elena had left her in the sleeping quarters to do some school work, while she went to help in the kitchen. Gracie was supposed to join her in the kitchen later. She didn’t show up. We’ve searched the compound. She isn’t inside.”

We reached the main room as he was finishing, and Mark immediately found Elena, surrounded by the other women. She broke away from the group and grabbed him, sobbing. She looked like she was going to collapse if not for him.

Mark held onto her and looked to the other women. “How long had she been missing?”

“She was to meet us an hour ago, but she could have left sooner, maybe two hours ago.” One of them answered, voice wobbling.

Mark gently pushed Elena back so he could see her face. “I’m going after her, okay? I’ll bring her back.” He promised. He led her to a chair and made her sit, then went over to a gun rack (Which was mounted high up so children couldn’t reach), taking down some ammo.

I turned and jogged back to the office, grabbing my weapon, then jogged back, catching him as he slipped a hoodie over the bulletproof vest he’d put on. “I’m going with you.”

“No.” He strapped on his hollister. I did the same, grabbing ammo.

“You need someone to cover your back, and I don’t see any other military trained folks standing around.” I replied unfazed by his refusal. I had gotten used to being treated like a weak woman, and learned to ignore it.

He glanced at me. “You have a different mission.”

“Then God will have to bring us back safely, because whether you like it or not, you need backup, and I’m the only one who can offer it. Lets go.” I ordered, moving around him so I was leading the way out the door. Unable to stop me, he had to follow.

I cautiously opened the door, peering out. It was the middle of the day, and I only hoped nobody would notice or recognize either of us. Checking that my hoodie covered my weapon and pulling the hood over my head, I stepped out into the daylight...