4: Abandoned

Name: Jamie

Location: Somewhere in the Black Hills

Time: 2200

I arrived hungry and tired at the home of my final contact, having walked for nearly twenty four hours through the bushes with little rest.

My heart slowly started to sink when I saw the darkened windows. Either my contact wasn't there, or he'd gone to bed already. I hoped for the lader, but it was unlikely as he had probably discovered the destroyed safe-house. Pulling out my weapon once again, I crept towards the edge of the bushes, headed towards the house.

Suddenly, a vehicle pulled onto the driveway, followed by two others. I quickly backed up and crouched, hiding in the trees. These were not ordinary vehicles, they were police. How did they show up in my path again?! 

I watched as cops piled out, rushing into the house. Every instinct I had said 'leave before they decide to search the bushes' but something made me stay. What if my contact was still alive, and had just been found out? If he had an escape tunnel of some kind, maybe I could find him, he would probably know other believers we could run to.

For several tense minutes I waited. Nothing happened, the cops came out, and they began to search the property. I couldn't wait any longer. I hurried back the way I'd come, crouching as I went. I could only pray I left no obvious trails.

The believers had been forced to split up a while ago, each knowing where to find two or three others, but that was it. Now I had been completely cut off from my safety net. My last hope had been squashed out, now I was on my own.