20: Buried Past.

Name: Elena (AKA. Gracie’s mother)
Location: Rapid City, old warehouse
Time: 0425

She led the newcomer to one of the sleeping quarters. In this building only couples had bedrooms to themselves, and even then sometimes not, depending on how many couples were living there at once.

She glanced at the younger woman’s face. There were tired lines in her face, but she still put a smile on her lips as she thanked Elena.

Elena returned the smile, then left her to settle in. She heard a child laughing as she neared the men’s sleeping quarters. She let herself in, knowing the men would be decent since her daughter was already inside.

There were four other guys, all sitting on their cots and smiling as they watched Mark tickle his niece. “-Had a little trouble with the landing, but shouldn’t take more than a day or two to repair the plane.” He was saying. Gracie finally escaped him and scurried over to her.

Elena smiled as the men’s gazes turned to her. “We’ll let you guys get some rest.” She took her daughter’s hand, leading her out into the hall. “Come on, you need to go back to bed now.” She said, pointing Gracie towards their sleeping quarters.

“Elena, wait.” A voice said quietly behind her. She turned to find Mark had followed her out. Gracie spun around and ran to hug him again. He smiled and returned the embrace.

“Okay, Gracie, off to bed. Uncle Mark will still be here in the morning, but if you don’t get sleep now you’ll be too tired tomorrow to play with him.” Her reasoning worked, and the youngster quickly scurried off.

“Goodnight, Uncle Mark!”

“Goodnight, Precious.” He replied, straightening. Elena studied him. His shoulders sagged, his gaze proving he was zoning out. “How’s she doing?” He asked, voice barely above a whisper.

“She misses her daddy.” The answer was a little terse, but she couldn’t bring herself to put it any different. Mark flinched, looking away.

Her husband had been a good friend of his. A really good friend, but then, everything had changed.

Her husband had become an angry, distant. Her stomach turned as she remembered his betrayal. The thought left a bitter taste in her mouth.

“Are you okay?” He didn’t answer, just kept his gaze down and shook his head. She opened her mouth to ask what was wrong, but he raised a hand, stopping her.

“Please, I don’t really have the energy to explain tonight.”

She studied him a moment, then stepped forward and hugged him. “Go sleep. We can talk tomorrow.” She ordered, pulling away again. He nodded and turned away, going back to his cot…

----------------
Author note; This chapter was a bit short, but tell me;

Have you figured out what's going on?

Do you have any suggestions?