I. jovi

1996
they stared down at their baby. the newborn baby girl was swaddled in a créme colored blanket, fast asleep. the father's azure blue eyes peered down at his daughter and a smile grew on his face.
"our little jovi." he commented.

he was very impressed with the nickname that he had dawned upon his baby girl. jovi—a combination of her first and middle name, and a tribute to one of their favorite bands.
"i don't know...josephine ivy doesn't feel right to me. ivy josephine just...feels like her." the mother responded.

corrine dane had given birth to her first born child, a beautiful little girl. and everything felt right, except her name.
"then ivy josephine it shall be. but we can still call her jovi." alexander dane offered, softly rocking the baby in his arms.

"ivy." corrine nodded and smiled.

2002
ivy was six years old and her sister was on the brink of five. the two were running around the backyard, chasing each other through the freshly cut grass. it was a bright summer day, and august was right around the corner.

the long haired ivy felt that something was wrong, someone—something was in danger. she stopped running and looked around the backyard.

"ivy!" her sister frowned from beside her. the younger dane sister stopped running as well.
"shh! thea, do you hear that?" ivy's blue eyes glanced at her sister.

the four year old shook her head. both girls had managed to be kissed by the sun after spending hours outside. ivy walked over to their bushes, following the slow heartbeat that she could hear in her ears. whatever it was, it was calling her.

althea dane watched as her sister kneeled in the dirt. the four year old couldn't help, but to move towards her sister out of curiousity.

ivy gazed down at the fallen blue bird. it's wing fluttered as if it were broken. ivy reached out, her soft hand stroking the bird's wing. it wasn't enough, she felt compelled to hold the bird. her tiny hands scooped the blue bird into her hands, cradling it.

"she's hurt, thea." ivy whispered and gently clasped her hands over the bird's wings and body. the small girl closed her eyes—she wanted nothing more than to heal the baby bird.

thea watched as her sister held the bird. then, ivy opened her hands and looked down to see the baby bird was healed. gasps came from both of the dane sisters' mouths.

ivy watched as the bird flew from her hands, she was in awe of what she had just done. her blue eyes glanced over towards her sister.
"thea, did you see that?!" she smiled widely.

she felt a chilled and wet sensation run down her nose, and she watched as her sister's face twisted up in shock.
"jovi, y-your nose." thea's small index finger pointed at her sister.

ivy's hand wiped above her cupid's bow. she retracted her hand and saw blood on her finger. her eyes widened in horror.

what was wrong with her?

2013
"miss dane, a student claimed that she saw you cheat." the middle-aged french teacher tossed ivy's test on top of a stack of other french tests.