Chapter 30

Ali's POV

"Ali?" I hear my mother call out to me.

"Yeah?" I ask walking down the stairs.

"Do you want to go to the park? It's lovely outside." She asks with a weak smile on her face. She's kneeling in front of the couch. From the stair case I can see John sleeping on the couch.

"Is he okay with us just leaving?"

"Oh, honey. Don't worry about him. Let's go." she says walking towards me. She then takes my hands and squeezes them reassuringly.

Once we're at the park I walk to the swing with my mother following close behind me. When I sit down I feel my mother start to push me.

"Mom I'm not five." I say smiling up at her.

"Oh, right." she says giving me a small and sitting on the swing next to me. We both swing slowly not saying a word. My mother and I haven't been to the park in ages. Ever since John came in the picture we haven't done anything together.

"Look how beautiful the sky is." my mother says looking up at the sky.

"Yeah. It is." I say looking up at the bright blue sky.

"Ali, when I'm not here to protect you anymore," she chokes out, "I want you to look at the sky. I want you to look at the sky because that's where I'll be. Watching you."

I look over to my mom to see tears escaping her chocolate brown eyes. I get up from the swing and kneel in front of her. I then take her hands and squeeze them just like she does to me when I'm upset and nervous.

"Don't worry mom. I'll be strong enough for both of us." I say smiling up at her. More tears escape her eyes and I start think that I said something wrong. But then she falls to her knees and wraps her arms around my neck.

"I'm so sorry baby." she says sobbing into the crook of my neck.

"M-mom. It's not your fault." Right now I'm speechless. I rarely see my mother like this.

"I love you so much, Ali. I love you." she says hugging me even more tightly.

"I love you too mom." I say wrapping my arms around her waist. "I love you too."

"I miss you." I whisper looking up at the sky from the swing I'm sitting at.

My eyes start to soften as I look longer into the sky. It feels just like the way it did that day. Bright and sunny. I feel my heart ache as I think about my mother. She was such a beautiful women. I wish I could've gave her the life she deserves. I should've done something when John grabbed that knife. I could've done something. But I was too stupid and afraid to do anything.

"Ali?" I don't recognize the voice, but when I turn my head to face him I wish I haven't.

"What the hell do you want?" I ask.

"I come here every once in a while." he says sitting on the swing next to me.

"Well you shouldn't wear a suit coming here. People here will mug you." I warn him. He really should save the fancy clothes for the club.

"Believe it or not, I use to live around here. People here know me." he says proudly.

"Aaron, I really don't want to put up with you right now, so can you please leave?" I ask.

"Well, I actually wanted to talk to you about the situation about what Luke told you." he says being careful not to get his obviously expensive shoes dirty.

"How do you know about that?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"I was there when he opened the door. I tried to stop him, but he wouldn't listen to me." he says standing up.

"Wait, where are you going?" I ask as he walks away.

"You said you wanted me to leave. So, that's what I'm doing." he says turning on his heel to face me.

"You can stay." I say. The only reason why I want him to stay is so he can tell me more about what he knows.

"You just want to know what happened." he says.

"Pretty much." I say honestly.

"Very well. But if I tell you, you have to come with me."

"Really?" I ask to see if he's joking.

"Fine, I'll just leave then." he says walking away once again.

"Jeez." I sigh thinking if I should follow him.

"Wait! I'm coming!" I say catching up to him. When I make it to his side he smirks down at me.

----

"You have a huge house." I say as we both enter.

"Yeah." he says proudly walking further into the house.

"Wait, I'm going to get lost here!" I say as he disappears when I was looking at the paintings he has. I quickly go in the direction he walked to see a door opened that leads outside.

"Drink?" He asks.

"Classy." I say as I walk out onto his patio.

"Thanks." he says pouring both of us whine.

"You even have a whine rack here?" I ask as I take the glass.

"Yeah, nice?" he asks as he sits on a seat.

"Very." I answer sitting on the chair on the other side of his wide coffee table.

"So, about what happened? We were both at the club." he says.

"Of course." I say rolling my eyes.

"As I said, we were at the club. And then he starts bad mouthing about you. Next thing I know Luke gets drunk beyond imagination so I take him home." he says taking a sip from his glass.

"What did he say about me?" I choke out.

"He said that he doesn't like you and you're no one special. I think he mentioned that the others didn't care about you either and it was all an act, or something like that." he says putting the glass on the coffee table.

"Hey, Aaron. I got your message. What did you wan-" I turn around to see the last person I wanted to see.

"Ali? What are you doing here?" Luke asks from inside the house.

"I'm sorry Aaron, but I have to leave now." I say starting to walk back inside the house.

"Wait, Ali." Luke says grabbing my wrist. I turn around and dump the whine Aaron gave me all over him.

"Don't come near me ever again." I say giving him the glass and then rushed out as fast as I could.