Steba, much like Koral, looked more concerned than annoyed, now. "So what'd you find out? Where did he go?"

Nix leaned forward, avoiding all their gazes. He was still struggling with his own feelings about this.

"He was with Leithan. They went to Chena Ini, and they talked. A lot," Nix said with a dry smile, looking up at Etrikis now. "Among other topics, he reminisced on the past. Said things like, 'Xefen and I used to,' and the like. Unless he's insane or has some kind of a split-personality, he's not our guy."

They were all silent for a moment. Etrikis, finally, picked up a free stool and sat on it. The shaman rested his elbows on his knees and joined his hands – the nails were painted blue with darkis dye, Nix absently noticed.

"Maybe there's an explanation," Etrikis tried, but he looked distraught.

Kresh sighed. "How do we know you're not just making this up? Or maybe you misheard him?"

Nix stared into Kresh's dark eyes. They looked pure black in the dim room.

"Because," Nix said, "that's not it, all right? There's more. They talked a lot, like I said. Talked about stalling us. And they seemed . . . close. Like friends, or maybe more."

"Are you sure that's not your jealousy speaking?" Kresh retorted. "Not everyone's a sick pervert like you just because they spend time with another man."

Nix's fists clenched on the table. Koral threw Kresh a warning glance. But Etrikis spoke first.

"Kresh, that's enough," he said.

Nix was still staring at Kresh when he added, "He was braiding his fucking hair, if you want to know. Does that sound like the kind of man who's focused on helping us? The kind of man you'd want to follow into battle?"

Kresh frowned, and looked away.

But Steba leaned forward, throwing Nix a glance. "That's a dumb fucking thing to say, Nix," he said, the amrin hangover making him bolder than usual. "I braid my siblings' hair all the time, doesn't hinder my ability to be focused or fight. You're clearly just jealous." Steba sighed, shook his head. "Maybe if you hadn't drugged and kidnapped him and his friends, he'd still hang out with you."

Nix took the blow, clenched his jaw, and stared hard at Steba.

"We were all in on that. Don't you dare pin it all on me. It was Kresh's idea in the first place."

"It was a good idea," Kresh said, raising his voice. "The whole clan bought it. And if I remember, none of you had a better one anyway."

"Guys," Koral said, "enough." She ran a hand through her dark brown hair and it tumbled to the sides, onto her slim shoulders. "This isn't the point. And Nix, Steba's right. You're letting your emotions cloud your judgment. But I still think you're telling the truth about him being an imposter."

"Really?" Nix asked her, his voice calmer now. "You believe me?"

She gave a small nod, lowering her lashes. "I've always liked the legends about Xefen, and the way he's been acting just . . . To me, it doesn't fit the character. Etrikis," she said, looking at the shaman across the table, "I think we need to consider the possibility that Mikai Shrivka played us."

The shaman shook his head, his feather earrings swaying as he did.

"No, no, she wouldn't do that. She's my friend." He nodded now, as if to convince himself of this. He rose and started to pace the room again, his feet kicking at the mess on the floor. "She respects me. She wouldn't do that to me. She knows how important this is. I've told her many times."

Nix sighed. Exchanged knowing glances with the others.

Then, Nix said out loud what they were all thinking, "I'm sorry, Etrikis, but I really don't think Mikai respects anyone but herself."

Etrikis frowned as he considered this. The other apprentices' silence spoke volumes.

After pacing some more, the shaman sat back down.

"But then," Etrikis said in a small voice, "who is he?"

"Mikai's brother," Koral said. "That much is probably true. They do look alike."

"But the legends," Etrikis said, almost triumphantly. "They all point to Mikai and Xefen being sister and brother. So, I don't understand – maybe there's another explanation . . ."

"Or maybe there's another brother," Nix said. "The way they were talking today, it sounded that way. Whoever Xefen was, this guy knew him well."

Koral nodded her agreement, staring into her now empty mug of water.

Kresh sighed, and crossed his arms. "Would make sense," he admitted, though he seemed reluctant.

Steba crossed his arms too, resting them on the table. He looked at Nix. "So what do you think we should do?"

"I think," Nix said, "it's time we go pay Mikai a little visit."