Chapter Six

Netherstone set down a border marker at the edge of RiverClan territory. Even though it was cold, he didn't shiver, but the rest of his patrol did. He didn't really feel anything. He really wanted to become deputy and then become leader. He would lead his clan into greatness! He was a great fighter too. "We're done patrolling the border, so lets go back to camp." Rainpelt meowed. "This weather is freezing my pelt off."

   The patrol nodded in agreement. They swerved their way around trees, bushes, and rocks, and they finally got back to camp. They split up and went their own directions, and Netherstone went to the fresh-kill pile to pick through it and find something to eat. His stomach was growling, and he hadn't eaten all day. He chose a juicy rabbit from the pile and sat down next to a bush next to the leader's den.

   The ThunderClan leader, Quickstar, was talking to a group of apprentices. He was curious about what Quickstar was saying to the apprentices, so he moved a bit closer. He could hear their voices from this spot. He heard Quickstar say, "Who remembers the seventh rule of the warrior code?" Dewypaw jumped up and down and meowed excitedly, "'A cat cannot be made deputy without having mentored at least one apprentice. '" Quickstar nodded in approval and asked, "How about the thirteenth rule of the code?" All the apprentices thought for a moment. Then, Moonpaw answered a bit nervously, "Is it 'the word of the Clan leader is the warrior code'?" Quickstar nodded again. "That is correct! Well done! I bet you all will be great warriors and that you all will follow the warrior code."

   All the apprentices nodded and went to their den. Netherstone finished his rabbit and there was a growling sound from a clump of bushes about a fox-length away from the entrance. Suddenly, a badger jumped out of the bushes straight into the middle of the camp. Quickstar yowled, "All warriors attack!"

The whole camp felt like it was being swept away by water when every single cat dashed out of their dens and confronted the badger. Some cats attacked, some defended the nursery, and some, including Netherstone, surrounded the badger. Even the elders were out, but they were defending the nursery with a few other warriors. Half of the apprentices attacked the badger with Quickstar and the other half surrounded the badger.

Soon every cat surrounding the badger launched at it and attacked it. Netherstone leaped on top of the badger, holding on with his front paws while his hind paws were slashing at the badger's back. The badger tried to shake him off, but the badger failed. The badger let out a screech as clawed at it's eyes. The badger turned and dashed out of the camp and Netherstone jumped off of it's back. The badger soon was out of sight and Suntail meowed breathlessly, "We gave it a fight it will remember. That badger won't be back, probably ever."

Netherstone checked himself. He didn't have a single scratch. "Is everyone okay?" Whisperfur, the ThunderClan medicine cat, asked. All of the cats nodded. "Anyone that has any wounds, anything, even just a little scratch, come to my den and I'll check you over."

   Whisperfur can be worried when there is a battle, even just a minor one. She wants every cat to be well so they can make the clan strong, so it mainly makes sense. Netherstone looked around and saw that Suntail had some serious injuries. He had a bite to his neck, a long scratch along his back, a deep wound on his hind leg, and a bleeding tail. Because of his bleeding tail, his tail doesn't look orange anymore, just red. He was probably the main cat that was attacked, since the other cats had minor injuries.

   Suntail tried to make his way to the medicine cat's den with the blood pooling beneath him, but he collapsed and he couldn't get up. Netherstone stared at him, wondering wether he should him or not. Quickstar ran over to Suntail and tried to get him to stand, or at least sit up. "Whisperfur!" Quickstar yowled.

   Whisperfur rushed out of her den and towards Suntail and Quickstar. She immediately knew what to do, Netherstone guessed, because as soon as she got there Whisperfur checked Suntail. From where Netherstone was standing, he could see Suntail's breathing get shallower and shallower, and eventually he stopped breathing. Quickstar lowered his head and the rest of the clan crowded around them.

   "We should bury him," Quickstar said. "And sit vigil, he was a great deputy, I will choose the next deputy tonight."

   Netherstone saw that it was almost sundown, so he went to his den. "Netherstone!" Quickstar meowed. "Can you go on the hunting patrol?" Netherstone nodded and head toward the group that was near the entrance.
***
Netherstone sat beside Rainpelt, waiting for Quickstar to announce the new deputy. After a few long moments, Quickstar jumped up to the Highrock and yowled, "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join under the Highrock for a clan meeting!" The clan started to gather around. Rainpelt and Netherstone were eager to hear who the next deputy is.

   "I say these words before Suntail so he may hear and approve my choice," Quickstar meowed. "Netherstone is the new deputy of ThunderClan."

   Netherstone couldn't believe it. He was made the deputy! The clan yowled in congratulations and Netherstone meowed, "I won't let you down, I promise, and this clan will be the best!"

   "The clan is dismissed!" Quickstar yowled.

   The clan broke apart and Netherstone was bursting with joy. He saw the elders carrying Suntail's body to be buried. Once Netherstone becomes leader, he will lead the clan into greatness, and probably get all the clans to be ThunderClan allies. Or, maybe he would take over all the clans, and he would be the ruler of the forest.