Chapter 9: Camping Disasters Pt. 2

Around 7 am we were expecting to be roughly awakened. Usually the coaches use water guns, noisy whistles or something that has you out of the bed in less than a minute. However that didn’t happen this time. Instead of that we all got called to the gym before breakfast. I wondered if they’d give up at some point, but it didn’t look like they were planning on doing so. The three stern coaches stood up in front of all of us and gave us a long, long, long and BORING speech about honesty, about how what happened last night wasn’t funny, how somebody could have gotten hurt...  blah blah blah. I glanced at Mike and he looked exactly how I was expecting: totally clueless. You did it Jessie. You’re definitely awesome.

-You know... I feel kind of bad, Holly mumbled during breakfast while staring down at her tray. Why am I not surprised at all? She always feel guilty about everything. Hello sister! Live a little bit please.

-Yeah me too. Maybe we should say something, Valerie said next looking as sheepish a the rest of our team. Oh no. No way! Her? For real? Now? They’re backing up? Oh hell no, they will not screw my plan.

-And what do you exactly wanna say, huh? Tell on us?, I said burning her with my eyes. This is what I get for working with freshman people. Another lesson I don’t seem to ever learn.

-No, I’m not Jessica, she said glaring at me so intensely that I looked away, I’m just saying that... I don’t know, do something. I feel bad!,

I didn’t have a solution for her guilt problem. There were just two options for us: A) We remain with our mouths shut (good one) or B) We admit that it was us who made the prank and suffer the consequences (wrong one).

-Look Val, there’s nothing we can do now. We can’t give in to them. They’re gonna kill us for sure, Abby said trying to calm things down between us. Thank you girl for supporting my idea.

-Yeah, she’s right. There’s nothing we can do now, I heard Jazz saying but all of the sudden lost interest in what my friend was saying.

I saw Mike’s silhouette right by the cafeteria’s entrance, tilting his head for me to go out with him. I mouthed him that I couldn’t leave and then he glared at me like there was no tomorrow. Oh well, let’s find out what he wants now. I quickly left my friends table and went after him. I knew nothing good could come out of this when I realized he was walking down to the coaches cabin. He got in and after I did the same he shut the door behind me. He stood up there, his muscular arms folded on his chest, a strong stern look upon me. Play cool Jessie, and everything’s gonna be ok.

-Still nothing you wanna tell me Jessie?, he said giving me a suspicious look. Hmp, I’m not buying any of this shit. It’s not me who feels guilty.

-No Mike. Like I said yesterday, I have nothing to say to you about last night, I said holding his look without trembling as much as I could. He was terrifying, and I was sweating.

-Is that so? You know, the east area is forbidden after 6 pm. So I wonder, if you were all the time playing the night game with us, how come I found your luck charm bracelet there when I searched this morning, huh?, he said holding the item before my wide open eyes.

Of course, I lost it that night! I’m so, so, SO stupid. He took a couple steps closer to me and I did the same backwards. Ok, now I feel very intimidated

-Tell me the truth Jessica, and it won’t be that bad.

-I could have lost it anywhere, and someone just found it and then dropped it there, I said looking away. I’m so not good at lying when I’m this nervous, so what I had just said had no sense at all. He raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

-But that’s not what happened, am I right? You were there, that night, and threw water bombs to those girls, didn’t you?, he said coming even closer to my spot. I just froze there, trapped against the wall. What was I gonna say now? Deny it so blatantly?