October 15, 1861

Começar do início

He pushed his nasty old body against mine and smelled my hair.  "It's been some time since I've had a woman.  Especially one as soft as you."  He shoved a finger inside me, and I cried out. 

"Hands off the woman."  Thomas stopped and turned around.

"Well, who do we have here?"  Thomas let go of me. 

I turned and saw a man in grey pants and white shirt.

"A deserter ?  We got a goddamn traitor in our midst Bodine!"  He laughed.

"Bodine won't be answering.  He's out cold." 

Thomas circled the man.  "Are you harboring deserters Mrs. Westlake?" 

I shook my head.

"She's never seen me before.  I was just crossing up from the south today when I got lucky enough to walk into this mess."

"This mess?  You mean interrupting me when I was about to bed the sweet piece of northern..."

"Watch your language around the lady."  The stranger said.

"She ain't no lady.  She doesn't even wear a petticoat.  As a matter of fact, she was just begging me to take her right where she stands.  She ain't no lady, she's a nigger lover." 

"Well, then it seems you have a problem, because so am I."  The man pulled up his revolver and pointed it at Thomas.

Thomas laughed.  "You really think that soaking wet revolver will fire?  You'd shoot an unarmed man?"  Thomas laughed.

"No, but she will."  He nodded toward the door, and as soon as Thomas turned around, the stranger knocked him behind the head with the butt of his revolver.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" He watched me as he grabbed rope to tie Thomas up. 

I nodded, but backed away.  "It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you.  I'm on my way to Corydon to enlist on the right side of things."  He spoke with an accent, but it's not Southern.

I looked to the door and there's another stranger.  She looked shocked.  She's a beautiful dark haired woman.  She almost looks like the perfect southern belle.  She is absolutely beautiful.

She is still in shock.  The woman had no gun.

"I'm looking for Oliver Westlake."  She said.

"That was incredible timing."  The strange man said.

"Who are you people?"  I shook my head in disbelief.  Two strangers show up on my property at the same exact moment.

"Ma'am, my name is Patrick Guilfoyle.  I've been endentured in the south for many years.  I used the war to escape after I was forced into the Confederate Army."  He held out his hand, and I shook it.

I understand now.  He's Irish, and has probably been endentured longer than his contract.  To the rebels, he is seen as dirtier than the colored folk.  He won't bring as much money at auction.  It's the Irish women they really want, so they can lighten the skin of their slaves.  These are horrible people.

"I'm Mrs. Oliver Westlake, and who are you to be calling after my husband?"

Her face fell, then she saw my pregnancy.

"That's Oliver's child?"  Her voice cracked.

"I did say he is my husband."  I responded.  "I also asked your name." 

"Claudine Prickett."

I shook my head.  "No, the Claudine my husband knows is mulatto and lives in Canada with her husband."

She let out a deep breath.  "I am, but I do pass as white.  My husband met his death last spring, and Oliver always said for me to return here.  I have nowhere else to go.  Oliver stopped writing a year ago.  I was unaware of his nuptials.  Congratulations on the wedding and also the child.  I'll be on my way now."  She turned to walk away.

"Wait,"  I sighed.  Dang, I'm tired of always being the good girl.  Oliver would never forgive me if I turned either of these people away.

"You can stay.  Our home has always been a place of refuge.  Mr. Guilfoyle, what do you suggest we do with these two?" 

"You need to call in the Army, Ma'am.  I'm sure they're looking for him."

"Are you safe if a Union officer shows up here?" 

I noticed he is favoring his left side.  "Are you wounded?" 

"Yes Ma'am.  I received it on Cheat Mountain."

That's where Oliver fought.  This wound is old.

"Help me make sure these men are secure, and we will get Mr. Guilfoyle to the house.  I'll send someone to town for help."  I looked at Claudine, and she gave me a blank stare.