Chapter 10: The Harsh Reality of Life

Start from the beginning

Me: "And now, it is time to prepare." I put my right hand on his shoulder. "I assure, my friend: we will regain our lost glory, and take the rest for our new united people." I say to him with the feeling of great determination burning inside me.

Iceblood Sergeant: "Of course."

I pat him twice before I left him to whatever his duties are right now and walked idly in Odinsgard, greeting anyone I passed by.

Every corner I examined, lavishing on the thought that we have liberated Valkenheim as a whole already. There are still traces of Blackstone vandalism in some parts, but they are insignificant.

Still, I can't shake the thought of this being all too easy. The Blackstones that we fought were by themselves, with no reinforcements to speak of whatsoever. Plus, Odisngard is far away from the nearest pass to Ashfeld. They are cut off from their allies. I wonder if this is deliberate just to remove a thorn in their side, or something else.

Turning towards one alleyway, I saw six mysterious figures wearing familiar cloaks and mantles, two of which are already staring at my direction as if I was expected to arrive to that particular corner. They seem to know me too well.

I enter the alleyway and walked towards the group, with one of them removing his cloak and revealing himself to be none other than my brother, Gudmundr.

Gudmundr laughs as I did as we saw each other and went for a strong embrace. We laugh for a bit before calming down to properly acknowledge each other.

Gudmundr: "Haha! Well done, little brother! You done what I couldn't have before!" He praises, giving me a higher sense of pride and confidence.

Stigandr: "Our united clans are nothing like Valkenheim has seen before, and that is because you taught me well." I say to him.

Gudmundr: "And of course, our little group of helpers as well here." He says as he gestures towards the other five, causing me to look at them in their idle selves.

One of them who has an odd-looking hat is leaning against on of the houses' wall. The three of them are simply standing around, and in front of them is the one wearing the black mantle with a Warden's helmet visible; this one I assume is the one named 'Anaximander'.

I look at Gudmundr who is still grinning, and then towards the Warden. After a moment, I walk up to him to say my thoughts.

Me: "I like neither you nor your little group of friends," I pause, attempting to swallow the rest of my opinions towards them before continuing. "... but you have helped my people even from the start. I believe a proper 'thank you' is necessary from me." I finish as I offer a handshake.

He takes out his right arm to accept it. We shake hands not on how they do it, but how WE do it here. It seems that he is not as ignorant about my people as I previously thought. I may be starting to like this man.

Anaximander: "You are welcome, Jarl Stigandr." He says as we break the handshake.

Gudmundr: "So what now, little brother?" My big brother asks me.

Stigandr: "We are building a fleet. We are going for the Samurai next." I reply to him, although this seems to have caught the attention of two of them but I ignored them.

Gudmundr: "Why?"

Stigandr: "We're not just going to stand around polishing our own shields, you know."

After that reply, there was a small moment of silence before Gudmundr starts laughing loudly, which I never really liked about him, but I guess he grew on me.