Chapter 2.

"Wake up." Marilyn says, shaking me, awaking me up from my dreams.

"30 more minutes please." I mumble, burying my head deeper into my pillow.

"No, it's already 9:30 plus Lisa's here." She says referring to my home school teacher.

"Fine! Give me a minute."

"Okay."

Quickly changing out of my PJ's and brushing my teeth, I start making my way to the living room where Lisa's at.

"Ready to learn?" She asks.

Damn Lisa and her stupid questions.

"No." I simply reply, sitting by her.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Lisa's long gone now so I'm just in my room watching 'Sixteen Candles' while eating some cookies. Typical day for Veronica Martinez.

"I have some exciting news that might cheer you up." Ivan says coming into my room.

"What's so important that you had to ruin my alone time?" I demand.

"There's supposed to be a bad thunderstorm on Thursday so the game got moved ahead to tomorrow."

"About the game..."

"Don't tell me you're canceling on me Ronnie." He interrupts.

"You can just tell mom and Arthur I went but I'll be hiding here in my room. Please." I say.

"I won't do that."

"Why?" I whine.

"Because going to the game has its perks. You can meet new people, don't you want new friends?"

"I just want to be alone, here in my room."

"Do this for me, for dad. I know if he were still here he wouldn't want you to be locked away all alone in your room, plus you've never seen me play. Don't you want to see me in my last game?"

"Honestly, I don't want to see you play at all, but I'm willing to do it for dad."

He smiles widely, pulling me in for a tight hug.

"Thanks Ronnie." He says.

"You're welcome." I reply hugging him back.

"Let me go get you something." He says running off to his room.

A couple seconds later he comes back with a T-shirt.

"You got me a shirt?" I ask.

"Not just any shirt." He says unfolding it.

It's one of his fan shirts. There's a giant 14 on the back, his jersey number, on top of it says 'Ivan's number 1 fan', in the front it says school's name.

"Like it?" He asks.

"It's alright." I mumble.

"Okay, I'll be leaving now. Mom's in her room if you need her."

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"To a bonfire. It's a thing all my team mates do to celebrate the last game of the season. Want to come?"

"No, I'm okay."

"See you later." He says, giving my forehead a kiss.

Hopefully tomorrow at the game I won't have a panic attack. That would be really embarrassing.

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm wearing Ivan's fan shirt with some faded blue denims and my worn out black converse. 'Note to self, remind mom to get me new clothes'. I'm all ready to go to the game now.