Chapter 20

Working in PR Jude was used to the creative ideas that had to be implemented the last minute. Inviting Gideon's top employees to The Octagon's party was a last-minute decision but it wasn't a daunting feat and he was nearly finished. Handing out invitations he'd created that morning.

As he extended the last invitation he looked up into the familiar face of that rowdy man from the cafe. "How are you Roy?" something about that man disturbed him though he couldn't say what exactly.

"Been good busier with the break-in aftermath and all." He said.

Jude nodded in understanding "Well if you and your wife are interested in taking the night off." He passed the envelope with an easy friendly smile.

Soon as Roy left pocketing the glossy invitation, Gideon emerged from the corner clad in casual clothes that just looked so hot on him and he looked admiringly at Jude. "Not bad. Throwing parties with my employees now?" he said.

Jude flashed him a bashful flirtatious smile "I hope to see you there sir." He saluted as he turned to leave the construction site. Slowly taking off in the direction of the forest.

He followed and when Jude saw him he took off in a sprint. Gideon ran faster and with the finesse of an athlete tackled him to the ground. "Gotcha!"

Jude's cheeks were flushed pink, his smile wide , his laugh a pink airy delightful sound and youthfully carefree. Gideon wrapped his hands around Jude's waist and pulled him up close. A bird chirped in the distance as his lips came down on Jude's.

Gideon Kissed Jude hungrily his lips devouring that mouth like he couldn't get enough and he feared he never would.

Jude teased him back running his tongue over the seam of his lips and daring him to part them and slip inside. Gideon groaned from deep in his chest. Just as Jude slid his hands into his back pocket jeans and pulled his hips closer.

The teasing contact of their hard groins made frustrating by the barrier of too much clothing drove Gideon insane. He twisted Jude's body below him, opening his legs wider to grind his hard erection into Jude's just as hard erection. Jude bucked below him seeking closer impossible contact.

Delighted by the sensation of dry humping Jude, Gideon lowered his head and buried it in the crook of Jude's neck. Below him Jude moaned and Gideon smiled to himself, nipping at the pulse a little harder this time. Below him Jude shuddered with a sensual moan leaving his wet lips.

A sudden sound rippled through the silence around them and his assistant's voice static ridden voice carried through the walkie talkie placed on his right hip "Hey boss."

Gideon groaned and touched his forehead to Jude's their breathing coming in rapid gulps "I am not answering." He muttered.

Jude laughed, his chest rising and falling with an unrealised sexual high. "You have to; we're still dealing with a lot."

"Let me deal with this first," The athlete said, rubbing himself up and down to further arouse his publicist.

"Boss the detective is here to see you." The assistant said her voice more urgent this time. "Are you there?"

"You definitely have to get that now," Jude pointed.

"Yes, I guess I have to." With more regret than he ever believed possible rolled off Jude, unhooked the talkie and pressed a button "Tell them I'll be there in five." He stood and held out a hand for Jude to take then they brushed the remnants of dirt and grass. He picked a stray leaf from Jude's hair and a twig from the back of his shirt. "You surprise me, Jude."

"Why's that?"

His gaze roamed appreciatively over him "I'd never have pegged you as an outdoor Guy."

Jude shrugged and ran a delectable pink tongue over his bottom lip.  "What can I say, I can adapt to my surroundings."

He swallowed, ignoring the beat in his chest and the sharpness at which he'd twitched in his jeans. "Here take my car home I'll get a ride from Nick."

Anxious to hear what the police had to say Gideon strode into the lodge office. The detective in charge of the investigation waited for him drinking good coffee. Courtesy of his assistant. The officer was obviously flirting with her but by her stiff posture and dismissive expression she was definitely putting out signals that said 'stop it already.'

He walked up to the detective and extended his hand "Sorry I didn't mean to keep you waiting."

Detective Ross rose from his seat "Don't worry Mr. Bennett your lovely assistant here was keeping me company.'

From behind his back his assistant rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue. Zero bit back a laugh "Cara why don't you take a break?" he suggested.

She shot him a grateful glance, swung her purse over her shoulder and strode out the office.

Once they were alone Zero turned to the officer "So what did you find?" he asked not in the mood for idle chit chat. Not when he had Jude willing and waiting for him at home.

"Did you know that your old restaurants in Calabasas are in the red?" Officer Ross started.

Zero jerked his head up at the suggestion. "You're kidding me Sam would have to shave off his eyebrows five times over before he screwed those up."

"Well, he managed to, very well too. Your ex owes most of his landlords, all his vendors and then some."

Gideon was amazed.

"Are you in contact with him?" the detective inquired, tapping his pen on his notepad.

"I haven't been. But he called recently."

"What for?" the detective asked scribbling something on a notepad.

"Money. Said he has some credit bills he wants to cover."

Ross paused his scribbling and asked, "And you believed him?"

"I had no reason not to."

"Well we're looking for motive and I can't imagine he'd be ok with your rising start whilst his is plummeting deep and fast below the margin." The detective speculated.

"Sam is vain but not destructive. Besides if he's behind the vandalism then why would he call me now and put himself back on my radar, to begin with?" Gideon asked. "Asking for money of all things? It doesn't make any sense."

"Do you play chess?" The Officer asked, shoulders square and proud of what he had in mind.

Zero shook his head, though he wouldn't mention this. He knew he wasn't smart enough for the game that looked boring anyway.

"It's called forked attack. He calls you for money but behind your back, he's sabotaging you... In a sense he'll be coming for you from two fronts."

Zero shoved his hands into his pockets and paced the floor "I won't deny anything's possible but this doesn't feel right in here." He jammed his fist over his chest. He'd always had a gut that was stronger than his mind.

Ross took steps towards the door "We'll take those feelings under advisement but we have to follow up on all possibilities no matter how remote." pause. "Please excuse my poor professional conduct for what I'm about to say. Off the record I'm rooting for the lodge, folks here we appreciate what you two have always done for us. You don't know this but my niece graduated two years ago summa cum thanks to the scholarship you give out every year. We can also see what you and your buddy Nick are doing with the kids. It's good community service. Man if I had that growing up, I know I would've turned out differently, a much better person than I am today." He pocketed his notebook and turned to leave. "I'm rooting for you. So to the best of my and my team's ability we'll get to the bottom of this."

"Thanks man, maybe when this is over I'll even have you come up at the club. Talk to the kids about crime and the like." Zero offered, his mind already thinking about the kids and how much more he could do to help all them.

"It would be an honour, anything for the leaders and sportsman of tomorrow." Then this time he really left the office.

With the detective gone Zero thought back on their conversation Sam behind all the problems here? Not likely, this brought him back to square one. He headed for Nick's office about to head home hoping Jude would have better insight than the detective.

Better insight and better company.

Both in and out of he sheets.