Human cheaters D:<

Start from the beginning

Kuro turned left and groaned. Though the street was only three paces wide, it stretched on for ages. There was no way he could lose sight of the retainers. But the wall on the left curved in to create an alcove for the house's gate. He checked over his shoulder for his pursuers, then grinned and darted into the alcove's shadow.

Wooden sandals pounded as the retainers entered the street. Really, couldn't they be more graceful? Their running gave him a headache. With his arms full of mochi, he couldn't even cover his ears.

The clatter of sandals came closer. He held his breath.

If they noticed the alcove, if they noticed him in the shadows... He bent his knees, ready to duck under flying swords.

The retainers passed, eyes trained in front of them, and continued to run down the road. Clouds of dust billowed in their wake, like a blessing from the gods to hide him.

Kuro held his breath when they stopped at the next crossroad. They leaned left and right, searching for a sign of him as they cursed loud enough that the wealthy merchant families living along the lane would complain. The retainers threw their hands around as they argued, and then split right and left. Neither noticed they'd left their prey far behind.

Not that he was any human's prey. Kuro was a mighty spirit, full of divine power. This time next year, their boy samurai would be begging favours from Kuro. The boy should be grateful he'd get to grovel to Kuro instead of a bunch of flea-bitten rabbits.

He collapsed against the wall as he laughed. Mochi slipped through his hands and rolled on the dirt.

"Damn it." Kuro bit into one of the little white cakes. His eyes widened as he tasted red bean paste instead. "Fantastic!"

The boy samurai at least had good taste in sweets. Kuro shoved more of the little cakes into his mouth, chewing and swallowing as fast as his stomach allowed.

His first and only meal of the day, and it happened to be red bean mochi. It must be an auspicious day for Kuro. Maybe he should return to the rabbit shrine after he finished the pile. With this kind of good fortune, maybe the rabbits would finally give into despair at the loss of such a feast and sign over their shrine to him.

Two shouts ran shivers up his spine. So much for auspicious. He knelt, ready to run, as he checked the crossroads. But that side of the street remained empty. The voices came from the opposite direction. Kuro peeked around the alcove corner.

"Get it!"

Two boys in indigo-dyed kimono ran up the streets as loudly as the retainers. But these boys wielded stones in their fists instead of swords. Kuro narrowed his eyes, and stuffed three more mochi into his mouth.

Four paces in front of them, a raccoon dog tanuki pup scrambled over the gravel. Figuring out tanuki ages were so much easier than humans.

One boy threw his stone. The rock struck the ground hard enough to leave a gouge. The tanuki screamed, darting hard to the right, giving up one and a half paces. At this rate, he wouldn't even reach the crossroads.

Kuro swallowed his mochi and leaned back. He still had an armful left. The boys wouldn't dare attack him. If he just stayed in the alcove, he'd be fine.

The tanuki scrambled past him. The other boy threw his stone, hitting the pup square on the back. The pup yelped and fell, sliding along the dirt.

Kuro rolled his eyes as the boys cheered. The pup struggled to stand again.

"Hit it again!" The boys stopped next to the tanuki. "Kick it!"