Reed900//Fixer Upper

Warnings//Mentions of past abuse and neglect, Cursing, mentions of HanCon
Prompt//Gavin is Handy

Gavin had always been pretty good at fixing things. He had to be if you wanted him to be honest. His dad was a cheap asshole who barely bought enough food to feed him and his ma, so things like clothes, shoes, and general appliances were never something he really payed attention to. His ma, bless her soul, was awful at fixing things or really doing anything but cooking, cleaning, and working at the florists.

Gavin picked up fixing things pretty quick. It stared with the old coffee pot in the kitchen after his father attempted to punt it at his mother's head when it stopped working. After that his dad had him fixing all sorts of things, and he considered for a time becoming a mechanic. After the fourth time he sliced himself opened on the car he decided against it though.

He became apt at fixing clothing when he found his mother poking her fingers raw trying to mend one of her few sundresses. He had started out on the small rips in his jeans and holes in his favorite t-shirts. He also learned that pretty fast and took to fixing his mother's clothes while she was out.

The shoes were a whole other thing. Gavin's father refused to buy shoes unless they were grown out of. So if there were rips, tares, or even if the soles were flopping off like an alligator opening it's mouth he didn't care. He never learned how to really fix shoes, he wasn't a cobbler he was a detective. He did learn how to fix them to where they were wearable though.

⫷▣⫸

Nines first noticed it when he found Detective Reed bent over the coffee machine in the break room. No /it/ wasn't Reed's spectacular ass. It was that the man was handy to have around. After he had backed away from the stubborn machine that had been increasingly faulty over the past few days it worked like new. The Android remembered this the next time he went for repairs.

The next time Reed's handiness came to play was when a common criminal had ended up ripping Nines' ever present black turtleneck. The robot frowned in distaste at the thought of having to go to CyberLife to get a new one or be looked at strangely if he went to a clothing store. He was shoved out of his thoughts when the shorter man grabbed him by the bicep and hauled him over to his desk. The bot watched in stoic amazement as Reed took a needle and thread from his sleeve and made the shirt look like the hole was never really there in the first place.

It happened again at the annual DPD Ball. Officer Tina Chen came over to his partner supported by her lovely red headed fiancée, Gwendolyn he thought, and plopped down with a huff. Reed popped his gum and rose a scarred eyebrow at his pseudo friend who simply held up her black high heel, only the heel part was halfway dangling off. Nines watched as the detective rolled his eyes and knelt down next to the woman taking her shoe and shoving his gum between it and the heel as an adhesive.

Gavin had handed the shoe back to her telling her to go hold it under some hot water or the hand dryer in the bathroom and wait five minutes before walking on it again. Ten minutes later Miss Chen and her date were dancing around once again and his partner was glancing at him, "Hey toaster, why aren't you out there dancing?"

"I cannot dance," he answered icily, "Why are you not dancing?"

"Last time I danced was with my Ma, and neither of us are very good at it," Gavin shrugged as he pressed another stick of mint gum in his mouth, "Why don't you download some fancy program like that plastic prick over there?"

Nines didn't have to look up to know that Reed was talking about Connor who had been swaying around with the Lieutenant for the majority of the night, "I did, yet I still cannot dance".

His partner snorted, "Guess that means Detective Perfect is now what we refer to as a Fixer Upper".

"I'm sure with your level of handiness I'll be repaired in no time," he smirked and he briefly wondered if Gavin Reed was blushing.