Chapter 1

Aria's POV

I was doodling around the edge of my notebook when the last bell of the day rang. Finally, I am so ready to leave this hell hole.

"Okay class! Have a great summer and I hope you all prosper in college!" Mrs. Olsen declared from the front of the room.

Did I forget to mention that today is my last day of high school? Yeah, sounds like me.

I waited until almost everyone cleared out to get up, so I could try to avoid certain people.

As soon as I was about to reach for the handle and leave however, Mrs. Olsen pulled me to the side of her table and watched everyone else shuffle out.

When everyone left she took my hands in hers, made me look her in the eyes and said very seriously, "Look, I've seen how these kids have treated you during these four years. And all I have to say to you, is don't. Don't let it happen again. Don't let them do it to you. Make sure you don't let that happen to you in college."

"Better said than done." I muttered under my breath.

She sighed, "I know, it's hard. But, just promise me you'll try?"

I sighed as well, "Fine. I'll try."

"Good." she smiled, "Have a great summer, and I hope you do well in college."

I mumbled a thanks and stumbled out into the hallway, which was still full of people cleaning out their lockers.

I walked to my locker and started cleaning it out like everyone else.

Suddenly, I felt presences behind me and my neck immediately stiffened as a reflex.

I forced myself to calm down and relax and ignored them and continued cleaning.

As I was reaching in to grab the last notebook to put in my bag, a perfectly manicured hand grabbed my wrist.

"What do you think you're doing, bitch? Don't ignore us!" Natalie's annoying voice demanded.

I twisted my hand out of hers and grabbed the notebook, slammed the locker and tried to walk away.

I felt another hand grab mine and I yanked my hand away.

"Ow! You little worthless lump of fat! You just made me break a nail!" Natalie's minion, Tiffany cried.

I just shrugged without looking back and  continued to walk towards the door.

Natalie, Tiffany and their crew kept yelling horrible things at me and I tried not to let it get to me.

Once I reached the front doors, I turned around and flipped them all off. I heard a few gasps. Out of all these years they've been hating on me, I've never responded, and now that I did, it felt good.

I slightly smirked to myself and walked out.

I let out a big sigh, good riddance, and started going towards the subway back home.

~skipping subway ride ~

"Mom! I'm home!" I called out.

Mom rushed out from the kitchen to greet me, "Oh hi honey, how was school?"

I shrugged, "Same, I guess. But, boy am I glad to be out."

She looked at me fondly and smiled wearily, "Here, I baked some cookies. Why don't you take them upstairs and start planning what to bring to college?"

"Sure, thanks Mom."

I grabbed the plate she handed me and ran upstairs to my room and closed the door.