Chapter 2: Cristina

Start from the beginning

            "Hi" I manage to squeak out and shake his hand.

            He cocks his head to the side and smiles, "So you going to tell me your name or should I start guessing"

            "Cristina" I tell him and put my stuff down and open up my book.

            I can feel his eyes on me but ignore him as I attempt to read my book. After a few minutes he looks away. I try to resist the urge to look over at him and stay focused on my book. After rereading the page I'm on for the third time, the library doors swing open and in comes Silas' sister Victoria. She comes over and leans on the table I'm sitting at.

            "Cristina right?" she asks looking at me.

            "Um, yeah hi" I say

            "Hey, I'm Victoria Silas' sister. So, I know you are coming over tonight to work on your history project with my brother, and I know what an idiot he can be so I figured he probably didn't give you our address. I just wanted to make sure you had it and let you know that it would probably be easier if you just rode home with us. I believe you normally walk to school, right?" she says.

            "Umm, yeah" I say

            "Just meet us near the front door after school get out, we have to stop at the mall before we head home to pick up a present for my older brother, his birthday is this weekend." I just nod my head at her

            "See ya after school" she says as she bounces off back out the door.

            I just sit there and stare at the space she just vacated. She has never said a word to me before, positive or negative. Why does everyone seem to be being nice to me today? I didn't understand but I knew it wouldn't last.

            While I'm packing up my stuff to leave Maverick starts talking to me again. "She seems nice" he comments on Victoria.

            "I guess, that is the first time she has ever said a word to me" I say still in disbelief that she came over and asked if I wanted a ride.

            "So, what class do you have next?" I tell him I have Algebra next "Awesome me too. Maybe you can help me catch up on the stuff I missed" he smiles at me.

            "Sure, no problem" I don't really know why he wants my help but he probably just doesn't want his grades to fall because he missed a few weeks of class.

            After lunch Maverick and I head to our math class. I didn't notice how tall he was since he was sitting down but now he seems to be about Silas' height maybe a bit taller. I walk in and go straight to my assigned seat while he go over to the teacher. I'm watching the leaves blow in the wind when the teacher announces

            "Guy's, we have a new student today. His name is Maverick Harrison. Make sure we show him some hospitality and make him feel at home here. Maverick you can take the seat next to Cristina over there" she says as she points toward the empty seat to my right.

            He smiles as he sits down and I give him a small smile back before turning back to the front of the class to start taking notes as the teacher lectures.

            Turns out Maverick and I have the rest of our classes together. He seems like a very sweet guy but I'm still hesitant about opening up to him because I still think there is a chance he is just playing with me.

            "So, where's your locker at?" he asks as we leave our last class.

            "Downstairs to the left locker 2219" I tell him. "Cool, mines just a couple rows over from yours 2380. Let me grab my shit and I'll walk out with you. Do you need a ride home or do you have a car?"