twenty-three: crumble

Start from the beginning

"just tired," madison began slowly, adding in a yawn for effect, "we have four episodes left of the originals to film plus the premiere party and then it feels like i'm back on set here for preparations for comi-con and fittings." madison sighed, carefully leaning her head against the cool window. what she said had been altogether true, but not exactly what had been troubling her for the last almost two weeks.

"i'm proud of you, sweetheart," andrew said, momentarily glancing over to meet her eyes, "but if you ever need a break you let me know! i understand how much you love your job, mads, but your mental health is important."

madison nodded, playing with the promise ring from chandler that had maintained its placement and swallowed thickly. her mind was barely steering around the curves in her path. making a mental note to email her therapist a list of the crazy things in her life now, she sent lauren a snapchat of the road ahead.

"you haven't seen chandler in a while," andrew mentioned casually, unaware of the conflict, "excited to see him?"

"yeah," madison responded just as nonchalantly, "it'll be nice."

the dizzy sensation in her head was no longer born out of reckless love for the boy on her mind. it was of frustration and regret. she wanted to feel his hand in hers but the worry surrounding the possibility of unreciprocated feelings ruined it for madison. her mind was racing a mile a minute, and she had no chance of catching up to it.

andrew turned into the riggs's driveway smoothly as madison grabbed her purse from the floor, slipping it into her lap. opening her door once they parked, she concentrated on the sound of her heels hitting the pavement to calm herself down. andrew followed and locked the car with the keys before placing them in his pocket.

rocking on her heels, madison waited for gina to answer the door after andrew rang the bell upon their arrival. andrew wore a warm smile as he carried a bottle of wine in his left hand. the two families had always been close, but when maddie and chandler announced their relationship, family dinners became a little bit more frequent.

madison caught the sound of heels clacking against the hardwood floors that covered the expanse of the riggs's home. when the door opened, she plastered a smile on her face and enveloped mrs. riggs in a warm hug. andrew went to shake william's hand as he appeared in the foyer.

"oh, sweetheart!" gina cooed, "i've missed you so much. how has work been?"

"pretty good," madison forced a chuckle, "a little tiring, but i'm glad to have a break. thank you for having us over."

"of course," she replied, waving off her gratitude, "you're always welcome, maddie."

madison smiled in return, rubbing her hand up and down her arm. she was always happy to see chandler's family, but the threat of an awkward meal was still prevalent in her mind. she stepped inside quietly, relaxing as she breathed in the comforting and familiar scent of vanilla spreading throughout the house.

turning the corner, she saw grayson chilling on the couch with his phone in hand. not seeing chandler, she decided on taking a seat with the youngest riggs. they had gotten close over the years, only two years apart, and conversation had always come easy between them—often making fun of chandler.

"what's up little riggs," madison asked as she sat down next to him, looking over at his phone to see him scrolling through his instagram feed.