Always There

Thursday was graduation and Ciera was allowed to miss school to attend. She went to Ahmad's house early the next morning to help him get his outfit ready for the dinner his mom planned for everyone afterward.

"You're not wearing that," She says quickly. She looks at Ahmad's ripped jean shorts and black t-shirt. 

"Why? I like this outfit."

"You're not wearing your everyday clothes to one of the biggest days of your life."

"I thought me getting married would be my biggest day."

"That's why I said, one of," She groans. Ciera goes in his closet, picking out black dress shorts and a white button up shirt with his black Ralph Loren dress shoes. "Put that on."

"But it's gonna be hot outside," Ahmad whines.

"You're only going to be outside to take pictures for like 20 minutes. The ceremony is going to be indoors dumb dumb."

Ahmad groans, grabbing the clothes from his best friend before kicking her out to change. Ciera goes downstairs. Her parents and Ahmad's parents were talking among themselves while Ahmad's older sister was doing her little sister's hair. Zeblen was sitting on the opposite couch on his phone.

"You look bored," Ciera chuckled, walking up to him.

"I'm straight," Zeblen laughs, "You know me, just chilling."

"Yea, but this will be over soon. Don't worry."

Ahmad comes down not too long after and was awed by everyone with his (Ciera's) choice of outfit. 

"Are you all ready to go?" Ahmad's mom asks. Everyone nods, heading out the door. 

Graduation day was the day Ahmad was waiting for. He was finally done with that boring ass high school and he can finally live his life. 

In one car was Ahmad's mom and Ciera's mom with Ahmad's older and younger sister along with Ahmad's niece.

Ciera's dad rode with her, Zeblen, and Ahmad. As they drove to the ceremony, Ciera looked out the window sadly.

Her best friend was leaving her again. This felt just like 8th grade graduation, when Ahmad left for high school. This time, while Ciera was at school, Ahmad would be at home chilling.

"You good, Cj?" He asks, looking over at her. Ciera only nods, sighing deeply. Ahmad sighed as well, not wanting to say anything to her just yet.

They got to Virginia State University, seeing the line of cars trying to park on the curb down the street.

"Don't they asses we should've came earlier," Ciera's dad groans, trying to find a spot. Zeblen chuckled,

"Just pull down the street, we can walk."

"We?" Ciera questions. "Boy I don't see you with heels on."

Zeblen looked at her feet, seeing the silver heels his sister wore.

"Well nobody told yo butt to come with heels."

"It's a special event, why wouldn't I wear heels?"

As the two went back and forth Ahmad chuckled.

"I'll carry you," He tells Ciera and she looks at him before nodding.

They parked down the block, Ciera groaning. That long back was gonna be a bitch.

"As everyone was walking towards the building, Ciera stood there.

"Girl, what is you doin?" Zeblen questions, stopping while his dad went ahead.