Chapter 6.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ❝A baby is
⠀⠀⠀Gods way of saying
the world should go on.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀- Alan Grant.

There weren't any words to describe the way Laila was feeling. Though, one word that would almost some it up was done. She grew beyond tired of Paytin's constant crying to be changed, rocked to sleep, and fed.

Gary wasn't supposed to die; Gary wasn't supposed to leave her all alone to raise the child he so desperately wanted. There was only one thing Laila could possibly do to relieve her stress. Laila scanned the boxes outlining her living room, beyond positive she was making the right decision.

She watched Paytin in her play pen giggling, playing with a toy. Paytin was so young and so innocent, but Laila wasn't living a life that allowed her to be raising a child.

Despite of Laila never fulfilling her motherly role, she figured she'd give Paytin one last bath. Running luke-warm bath water, Laila took out necessities and placed them on the counter. Once Paytin was stripped, Laila sat her in the water with colored bubbles. Laila placed a blue rubber duck in front of Paytin and watched her play for a while. As Paytin played, Laila wet her hair and began shampooing.

"You've got to look pretty and smell good for your new mommy Pay," Laila whispered, grabbing a palm-sized soft towel to start soaping her down.

Many parents were confident that they had pretty babies, but Laila was more than confident. Laila knew for a fact she had a gorgeous child. Paytin was the perfect mixture of her parents. She had this cute little nose with chubby cheeks, curly hair, and pretty eyes. All those traits were from Gary, the only traits that Paytin got from Laila were her skin-tone, long eyelashes, and lip shape.

Laila rinsed off Paytin's body and leaned her back onto her hand so she could rinse the shampoo out. Laila never had a problem with Paytin being fussy or crying when she took a bath, it was actually her favorite thing to do besides eating.

Laila grabbed Paytin's favorite towel that had a frog on the hood of it, wrapping it around her. She laid Paytin on the changing table and proceeded to lotion her down, pour baby powder, and put a fresh diaper on her. She snapped on a navy blue onesie with reddish polk-a-dots on Paytin and smiled when Paytin grabbed onto her fingers.

Taking her small comb and running it through Paytin's soft curls with moisturizer; Laila told herself to pump before heading out. Laila didn't want to be reminded of being a mother, when it was her time. She pulled a headband with a little bow on it around Paytin's head and cradled Paytin in her arms.

"Let mommy have a talk with you pretty girl," Laila said; sitting on the couch, getting ready to have a conversation with Paytin that she couldn't even comprehend yet.

"You probably won't understand a thing I'm saying," Laila said letting out a somber laugh with a single tear trickling, reminiscing about the night her life began to crumble apart.

"Baby you gon' do me a favor?" Laila asked coming out of the kitchen with a treat that consisted of pineapples, strawberries, walnuts, whip cream, and hot chocolate syrup.

"What you want babe?"

"I'm hungry," she whined. After putting her treat on the night stand, she pulled the covers back on the bed and fluffed her pregnancy pillow so she'd be comfortable.

"Laila please, I just took you to go get sum'n to eat less than a hour ago. Stop bein' greedy," shirtless Gary said, with an arm comfortably wrapped behind his head. What he said didn't register through until he heard her whimpering.

He sat up and grabbed Laila, pulling her onto his lap, "I'm sorry baby, I ain't mean it."

"Yes, you did," Laila said through sniffles, beating herself up inside because what he said was true. She knew she was being greedy, but she couldn't help it. Being eight months pregnant she was emotional as hell. If she wasn't having hot flashes she was hungry, if she wasn't hungry she was horny. It was a never-ending cycle.