Chapter 2.

Serenity pushed her iPhone's lock button that rang promptly at 6:45a.m. She pulled her blankets back and rubbed her crust filled eyes.

'Monday.' She sighed and thought. She always wondered why Monday couldn't be apart of the weekend. It would make everything so much better.

Serenity rolled over out of the bed and stretched, heading to the bathroom to relieve herself. She washed her hands and headed back into her bedroom, going to her dresser. She pulled out a pair of appropriate panties to go with the skirt she planned to wear and bra.

Soon after she hopped into the shower quickly - washing with a strawberry scented scrub. Stepping out, she lotioned her soft light skin. She took her time placing her undergarments on and made her way to her huge walk-in closet.

Serenity picked out a white sheer long sleeve blouse with gold buttons, a black shape fitting pencil skirt, and a black pair of Zara heels. She left the jacket where it was, there was a point of being cute but she wasn't trying to catch a heat stroke.

In her refrigerator, she chose some granola with a vanilla and strawberry flavored yogurt. She chopped up a few fruits, making a salad.

Plating her food and turning on the news, she sat at her kitchens counter enjoying the free time. Once she would make it to her office, it was all work even though she was her own boss.

Grabbing her brief case and purse she made her way down the stairs, heading to Laila's. She'd known Laila since they were in diapers. Together they were like Bonnie and Bonnie. Though, Serenity noticed some things that made her question Laila's sanity.

Knocking, she heard some shuffling and then two or more door locks click. 'Since when did she have more than one lock?' Serenity thought.

Once the door opened, Serenity caught whiff of the foul smell that Laila failed to cover up. It was a mixture of shit and cigarettes. Serenity was trying desperately to hold in the contents of her stomach.

"What's up, Sè? What you want, huh?"

If Serenity didn't know better she would've guessed a grown ass man answered the door.

"Damn, Laila. The fuck you been on? Soundin' like the Nutty fuckin' Professor?"

"It's too early to be fuckin' around with you, dawg. Say what you gotta say and carry ya' ass on." Laila said through coughs.

"Jus wanted to see how you and Paytin were doing is all. Guess I made a mistake." Serenity walked off, heading to Mama Janet's house walking in. Her doors were always opened.

"Who walk in to me hawse? Dat' you Sè?" Mama J's thick Jamaican accent exclaimed from the kitchen.

"Yea, Ma!"

Serenity sat her things on the chair that Mama J had next to the door.

"Bombo, could've at least knocked. Me could've had a man up in hea'."

Serenity laughed as she made her way into the kitchen, watching Mama J fix up some breakfast for her and her grandson. He was only four and needed medical assistance around the clock.

Mama J was Serenity's ex live-in nanny. See, Serenity's mother died mysteriously when she was 9 and growing up there were some things that Reid couldn't teach a developing little girl. Janet Waters was never seen as a "nanny." Her nuturing instinct made Serenity think that her mother never died, she lived in Mama J.

Once Serenity and Saheed got to the age where they could fend for themselves, Mama J's work was done. She retired and sat in a fully paid three bedroom condo, enjoying life.