Saracen

As the night rolled in so did the towns folk, gathering in the fountain's square, the hard ground beneath their feet was layered with trodden snow, as they waited for the two Harlequins to begin.

Kane stepped out in front of the large crowd, a small wave of surprise passed through Kane at the number of people that had shown up, he didn't let it show, an actor never let slip his character.

"welcome."

"i see lots of you have gathered here tonight we thank you, how is the view at the back?" Kane asked as he exerted his will in the dark.

Yelps of surprise rang out in the night, then followed by laughter and cheers, those at the front turned to see what the commotion was, to see the crowd of people behind them now sat on steps of shadow floating in the air.

"there much more better."

"we shall only be performing a short show tonight as we are limited in numbers, so let-"

"Fae, Darling the moon is bright tonight but let us have a little more sparkle shall we?" Kane prompted Fae.

"right you are Kane" Fae said loudly as she made a show of exerting her own will, several orbs of sizzling electricity surrounded Fae they shifted from white to purple as it gave off its light.

With another exaggerated motion she lifted them into the sky in a large circle, as they spread apart each orb was connected by a beam of crackling energy, in the centre of the ring they created more beams connected like a spiders web.

And at the heart of Fae's web of energy she let a larger orb burst into life as she bowed in the surge of light it created.

The crowd let rip their cheers and put their hands together in awe. Kane motioned for fae to stand next to him, and she did as he commanded, he was the boss tonight, it wasn't always like that but today it was the routine they had settled in.

his mask lending him a more theatrical presence Kane lifted fae and himself into the air, not far, and created a small platform of writhing shadows for them to perform on.

"I see there are quite a few ladies in the crowd, Fae would you be so kind as to make a beautiful flower for them?"

"of course." Fae smiled back, she knelt on the shadow platform, making their spectators lean forwards in their newly made shadow seats.

Placing her palm on the shadow Fae let the tingle of electricity run through her and into the platform, and will it to sprout.

A tiny spark glowed into life, stepping away from it Fae lifted her hands to the sky as the spark shot upwards, the shaft of electricity thickened at its base, and spread outwards at the top. Snaky tendrils wound around each other making branches of the crackling tree it had become.

As leaves sprouted, the white of the branches were tinted green as they covered them, the crowd clapped as the green spread like moss over the glowing tree.

Fae stayed put for a moment as the cheering died down, letting her will relax for a moment before dotting the tree with small pick sakura buds.

The grew and blossomed over the wide arc of the tree before floating down over the audience, each flower was a detailed network of electricity encased in a invisible field, allowing it to be held.

The crowd cheered again and Fae bowed, Kane clapped along with the crowd, he loved watching her perform her flower display, her smile was always genuine whenever she watched the flowers float into the hands of small children and women, her body glowed with her energy, making her her smile ever more majestic.

Kane walked over to the tree and gestured at it as if it were a show piece, and the crowd cheered for a moment longer.

"beautiful isn't it, I never quite understand how she does it I really don't, to intricate for me"

Kane held his hand out to touch the the trunk, he waited for Fae's alarmed yell to stop before he dipped his hand in the open stream of energy.

Kane's body was caked in electrical currents nipping at his nerves, the tendrils ran over his body and bit at him and he let out a cry of pain, the crowd drew their breath in shock.

And at that moment a the tree was pierced with hundreds of shadow spikes from the platform, they lingered for a moment before ripping the tree apart, allowing into to dissipating in a shower of sparks.

Kane let himself sink into the shadows platform, so that the audience couldn't see him. Until he rose back out to yet another applause.

The performance went on, Fae making energy portraits and other objects while Kane talked to the crowd and displayed his mastery over shadow.

As they ended the show Kane and Fae shook and with a few that came to talk to them, a congratulations and the like, some gave donations, Kane would always make sure he could speak to a few, it was his role and he played how he had been taught.

"hello, that was a splendid show, I must say. I'm the mayor of this village it's a please to meet you" the man practically gushed as he spoke.

"ah, the pleasure is mine, your village is a lovely place, so serene and beautiful." Kane shook the man's hand.

"ah, yes, yes it is I love this village. Such a nice life, peaceful and relaxing not like the cities." The mayor goo goo eyed Kane, off put by his mask but set at ease by Kane's manners.

"i came over in actuality to invite you to my house, I heard you could not afford a place at the inn, and I wont have you sleeping on the streets. Your my guest as of now." The mayor announced.

"why thank you kindly, but only if it's no bother" Fae interrupted.

"of course not my dear your display was breath taking I would love you both to relax in my manner. My wife will have a dinner on the table by the time we arrive. She is an excellent cook." the mayor smiled as he mentioned his wife.

"ok" Kane said thankfully.

"yes, thank you so much" Fae spoke with a genuine smile.

They shared a room in the Mayors house, and Kane watched through the night as Fae came into the room, the lights dim , dressed in a silk night wear.

Kae watched as she tip toed to her bed and snuck under her covers, Fae let a small sigh of relief and comfort escape her cherry red lips.

" Night Kane" came a whisper from Fae, but Kane didn't reply but watched the ceiling as he listened to her drift asleep in peace, and until he gradually slid into the depths of his inescapable nightmare.

POV. Saracen.

A drift in deaths grip, floating through his life watching every minute detail of his child hood unfold around him, gradually becoming an adult and the moments of his death.

Saracen couldn't shut his eyes off from seeing, he wasn't a person any more, just an incorporeal spirit held tightly in the grasp of deaths abyss. Forced to endure his memories to remember how he felt yet to never feel. It was like torture to be given a memory of a feeling but barred from ever indulging in it.

It was like letting a starved man smell a banquet but not allowing him to quench his hunger.

And that was what Saracen was, hungry to feel hungry, for life, like all the other souls that floated through their timeless existence unable to dissipate into nothing yet equally unable to return to life, Saracens mind slipped into realms of darkness, into a madness that sickened him and yet was the only salve for his hunger.

Saracen watched as the small blade was pulled from the boot of his killer and plunged into his heart, he saw it happen and remembered the knife slide through flesh and muscle, and how it slipped between his ribs and cut his artery to his heart. He watched and he longed to feel the blade kill him once more to feel pain, anything other than a fragment of a memory.