11 • Tough Choices

“I can't believe my best friend is moving to Korea!” Hannah exclaimed.

Currently, I was packing my suitcase. I had called Hannah over to help me but she hadn't been much help, lying down on my bed and talking about how much she'd miss me.

It was making me sad because I knew how much I would miss her too. It wasn't like I would be able to visit her whenever I wanted anymore. I wouldn't see her for a good year, maybe more. Going from seeing someone everyday to once a year is a big jump. It felt even worse for my parents.

The gravity of this situation was really hitting me hard now. I knew deep down that I shouldn't give up this opportunity and that this would be an amazing experience. Knowing that didn't make it any easier, however.

“It hasn't sunk in for me either.”

“I'm happy for you but...we won't see each other for such a long time. It sucks.”

“It does,” I agreed with her. “But I'll call you as much as possible.”

“You better! I'm holding you to that.” She sat up on the bed and I noticed she was almost crying. “First me and Jake break up, then you're leaving me.”

I hadn't thought of that before and now I felt even worse than before. I came over and sat down beside her, pulling close to me and hugging her hard. I never wanted to let her go.

“I'm a terrible friend, Hannah.”

She wiped her eyes, “No you're not! I want you to be happy.”

“I want you to be happy, too. I just feel like I'm abandoning you-”

“Stop!” she exclaimed. “You're not.”

I still felt like I was. It was even worse because I knew she had nobody now that her and Jake had broken up for good. My hope was that she wouldn't go back to him due to her loneliness.

Am I a bad friend?

“You're going to have so much fun,” Hannah told me.

She sounded genuinely really happy for me but I could still hear that she was crying a little into me. I couldn't feel worse if I tried.

“I hope so. I'm risking a lot for this. If I don't go I know I'll regret it though.”

“Did you ever get around to listening to their music?”

“Yes!” I exclaimed.

I had spent all last night listening to every song and watching every music video at least three times each. I watched their interviews too and couldn't believe that I hadn't found them sooner. I also couldn't believe I knew them in real life and would be their make-up artist!

They seemed very genuine about their music and the fact they write it all really excited me since that's what I wanted to do. Hopefully, being around them would teach me something.

“So you like them?”

“I love them.”

“I told you so!” She yelled, jumping off her spot and danced around the room for a moment. “How long have I been telling you to listen to them?”

“Yeah, yeah, you were right-” I mocked, rolling my eyes at her.

She scoffed, “Don't! I reserve the right to be cocky about being right. Don't try to brush past this.”

“You're immature.”

“Immature and right.”

I rolled my eyes again, getting up to continue packing my bags but was interrupted by the sound of my phone buzzing.