Chapter VIII - Dinner and a Dance

Bắt đầu từ đầu

'Excuse me, doll, I'll be right back.' Cuphead exclaimed as he got up from his chair. 'Don't go anywhere.' He teased, passing around me.

'Okay, I won't.' I smiled back at him, watching as he went off and out into the men's bathroom. As I realised I was sitting next to no one, apart from having a few of the adults on the table still sitting around engaging in joyful banter, I continued to put my focus on all the dancers in the room. It was about five minutes of just waiting for Cuphead to come back, being bored out of my brain, until a man from our table got up and walked over to me.

'Pardon me, ma'am,' He spoke, 'You seem awfully lonely. Might I interest the fair lady in a dance?' He asked, reaching both his hands out to me with a friendly smile on his face. I hesitated, looking around in an attempt to see if Cuphead had returned, but he was nowhere to be found. I looked back up at the man with a bashful smile.

'Well... why not.' I exclaimed, placing my hands in his giant ones as I got up from my chair and he walked us over to the edge of the dance floor. We were only about 2 meters away from our table, so I could easily walk back to the table if I felt the need too. He kept my hands in his as we began to lightly tap our feet to the music. The song playing was a short song, so I didn't really have to stay with this man for long. He tried to engage in a conversation, telling me his name was Captain Brineybeard and explaining what he does for a living. He seemed really nice and sweet, but I don't really know him so it felt a little awkward to be dancing with someone I don't know. Still, it was nice to be dancing with someone, at least. As the song neared the end, I felt a tap on my shoulder from behind. Turning around, I saw none other than Cuphead with a curious look on his face.

'Hey doll, watcha doing?' He asked while glancing at me and then to Brineybeard.

'I'm dancing. What does it look like?' I explained.

'But, why are you dancing with him?' he asked quietly to me.

'Because he was the only one that offered me to dance.'

'B-but... I was going to ask you...' He exclaimed shyly, brushing as bright as his nose.

'R-really?' I stammered, an intense blush appearing on my cheeks. Cuphead looked at Brineybeard, giving the captain what I could only tell was his best impression of puppy eyes he could make.

'Heh, sorry Cups. Didn't know she had a fella waitin for her.' He muttered, letting go if my hands with a playful smile. 'I'll let you both do your own thing now.' And with that, he happily walked off and asked another girl to dance with him. As the sound of another song began to play, I turned around and looked at Cuphead, feeling my face heating up.

'So, uh...' He paused, bashfully offering me a hand, 'd-do you maybe want to dance with me?'

'O-of course!' I beamed, placing my hand in his. He had the biggest smile on his face as he walked us more towards the middle of the floor. Once we found a spot that had enough room for the both of us to move around in, we separated hands as we began to dance along to the music. Our feet tapped along the wooden floor while our bodies shook and spun and twirled with passion. Watching Cuphead enjoy himself this much filled me with so much glee and excitement so I adapted to his joy and began to dance like no one was watching. The songs felt never-ending as we danced until we couldn't feel our legs anymore, returning back to our table with the both of us puffing and trying to catch our breath. We were about five songs in until we realised we both needed a break and a relaxing cold drink, so we sat down in our original chairs and began to catch our breath back.

'Golly, you two looked like you were having fun.' Hilda teased, giving us both a playful smile.

'Oh, we were!' Cuphead boasted. 'I've never seen this doll so happy before.' He exclaimed as he looked over to me.

'I could say the same thing about you.' I commented, giving him a silly smile. After an hour or so, we realised it started getting a little late, around 8.30, so a few residents from the table said farewell and headed off back to their homes. There was still a handful or two of people with us, but just a little less than when we arrived. As the night grew on, the music became slower and steadier for those who danced all night.

'Alright men,' An announcer spoke through the microphone, 'Now it's time to grab your gals and start showing em what you're made of as we roll along to the sound of non-stop classics that will swing you off your feet.'

Cuphead instantly looked at me and had the cheesiest, most sinister smile on his face that I've ever seen someone make. I questioned his smile and blushed as he stood up from his chair and knelt down on one knee in front of me.

'My fair lady, would you honour me with a dance?' He joked with a deep, giggly voice as he held his hand out to me.

'Oh my, what a gentleman!' I laughed, placing my hand in his as we continued mocking the atmosphere around us. I got up from my chair and followed him as he guided me back onto the dance floor, crowded around other couples who were hand in hand and being a slither apart from each other. I couldn't help but giggle while he held my hand and the sound of music began to play.

As we reached our spot, he looked at me with a smile before he placed his hands around my hips. As a result, I gently rested mine on his shoulders. The beautiful song known as 'Its Magic' by Doris Day was playing around us and the aura it created in the air made all jokes and silliness fade away. We were both a blushing mess as we began to look into each other's eyes and move our bodies rhythmically to the music. Cuphead was obviously the lead and I put up with where ever we moved to. While staring into his eyes, it was as if everyone else around us disappeared and being held by him was the only thing that mattered to me. My heart began to melt as I looked deeply into his glistening eyes, noticing a sweet, gentle look in them that I had never noticed before. I really felt as if I was developing such a huge crush on him, even though I've only known him for a few days. Besides, even if I really did have these feelings for Cuphead, it's not like he would share the same feeling for me, right?

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Author's note:

WOAH, OVER A HUNDRED READS? YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! AHHH!!

Thank you so much for the reads and votes on my story. Even if it may not seem like much compared to other stories here on Wattpad, I'm still incredibly thankful for each and every one of you who tune in to read my sappy lil love story I've put together just for you! It means so much to me! <3 <3

Xx