Chapter 5

10 years old

Ava was a year below him, but they still went to the same school. He'd been shocked when they offered him a ride. Normally, he had to walk. Unless he got lucky enough and Merle was home, and not drunk off his ass. The older Dixon was off at a girl's house, no doubt stayin' there for as long as he could until she broke it off, or he got tired of 'er. Either way, he found he much preferred going to school with Ava anyway. In fact, he preferred Ava to most things.

School days made things seem slower, more drawn out in the worst way.  Ava, reportedly, had yet to make any friends. Daryl didn't fare much better. He'd gotten into a few fights, but other than that, things were quiet. He spent recess with Ava, mostly looking under the logs lining the school yard's fence in search of bugs and small snakes. He went home with her too. He was almost beginning to feel like part of their family. They'd even installed him his own hook for his backpack in the entry way. He hadn't reacted to it outwardly, but they could all tell how much it'd meant to him.

Ava's family was all-encompassing in their welcome, so kind, so warm, so accepting. They took Daryl and his flaws with a smile and didn't fault him for them. They didn't prod at his biggest insecurities like his dad did on his worst days, or drag him down emotionally like Merle. They didn't neglect him in favor of cigarettes and alcohol like his ma, and they didn't sneer when they heard the name 'Dixon' like half the neighborhood seemed to. They took him as he was and allowed him to co-exist naturally in their domain, and he was all the more thankful for it.

He and Ava were in the middle of arguing over which fishing show was cooler when the doorbell rang.

Ava's dad got it. Both kids peered over the back of the couch curiously as the man stepped aside. Almost immediately, Daryl's heart sunk, and he felt panic begin to weigh heavy on his chest as Merle waltzed in. His eyes were bloodshot, and he had that same grin on his face that told Daryl he was drunk, and meant trouble.

"There yah are, lil bro! Mom said ya'd be over here. Livin' the good life with yer new girlfriend, are yah? Taking after yer older brother, I see."

Daryl was off the couch in seconds, already pulling on his shoes. "Shut up, Merle. You don' know what yer talkin about." Daryl muttered, feeling immensely embarrassed and reasonably upset. The way Ava's dad was lookin' at Merle... Daryl wouldn't be allowed over here again, he was sure. The thought made him sad. Ava was his first ever real friend, but Merle was gonna ruin that, just like he ruined everything else. He could feel heat beginning to build behind his eyes unbidden.

"Does he have to go?" Ava frowned as Daryl shuffled over to his brother, head hung low.

"Hey now, I ain't seen Darlina here in a hot second. Share a lil, would yah?" Merle cackled, and Daryl's frown deepened as his older brother ruffled his hair so hard it was almost painful. The gaze Ava's dad levelled Merle with was hard, and it solidified the rock in the pit of his stomach all the more.

"His name is Daryl." Ava scoffed at the drunken man, sliding off the couch.

"Daryl." Ava's dad's voice made Daryl flinch a little. He looked up, afraid of what he'd hear. He kept his face as neutral as he could get it, preparing for what was to come. "Are you okay?"

He opened his mouth, closed it, and promptly froze. That... wasn't what he'd been expecting.

"Of course he's fine." Merle scoffed, sounding suddenly defensive. "Come on then, Daryl. You wouldn't pass up some good ole quality time with your older brother to spend time with suburban trash like this, would yah?"

Ava and her dad watched Daryl follow his brother with frowns on their faces. Ava took greatly after her mother, but it was through expressions like these that he could really see the resemblance she bore to her father. "See yeh later, Ava." He mutter briefly as he went, intent on getting Merle out of his friend's house. His older brother let himself be shepherded away with little fuss, apparently not liking the heavy judgement he was being pressed beneath. 

Ava's dad hesitated before closing the door, not doing so until Daryl and his brother were all the way across the lawn. Merle stumbled a bit, so clearly drunk off his ass and not fit to be around a child like Daryl. Ava's dad sighed, turning towards his daughter.

"I don't like him." Ava said immediately once she saw her dad's attention turn back to her. "He wasn't very nice to Daryl either. I thought brothers were supposed to be nice!"

"Daryl's got a hard home life, sweetie. All you can do is be his friend and support him, alright?" Her dad smiled, trying his best to comfort her. She simply frowned, skulking off towards her bedroom rather than returning to the TV. Watching it without Daryl wasn't any fun anyway.

Daryl stopped coming over immediately after the incident with his brother. He didn't hitch a ride with them to or from school, and he was never out at recess. It became pretty clear he was avoiding Ava and her family. It made the girl sad, but she refused to accept it. It's what brought her here, to Daryl's front porch. 

Her mother was with her as back up. The pair was armed with a plate of cookies and smiles. Ava was determined to get Daryl over to her house. Ava's mother was simply worried. It had been a while since they'd seen the boy, which was quite concerning considering how often he had played outside prior. They were neighbors. Surely they should've seen him at some point, right?

Ava knocked as loudly as she could, putting on her bravest face. It didn't take much time at all before there was some shuffling, and the click of a lock as a woman opened the door. She had a cigar trapped between her red-stained lips. Her long hair was pulled up into a tangled bun, and the bags under her eyes were prominent against her pale skin. Clearly, she wasn't the most healthy person. Ava and her mother didn't let this deter them in the slightest.

"Hello! You must be Daryl's mother. I should have come and introduced myself sooner." Ava's mother smiled.

A look if realization dawned on the woman's face as she puffed out a cloud of smoke. Ava's mom didn't falter. "You must be that Ava girl he's always hangin out with. Didn't realize y'all were right next door." She said carelessly. Ava offered the plate of cookies, which the woman accepted hesitantly. "Thanks."

"Is Daryl here?" Ava asked hopefully. Ava's mother felt her heart sink when the woman had to think about it. This woman didn't even know where her son was. Now, Ava's mother was not in the business of judging others, but it was... it was different when it came to children. Daryl was still so young! Knowing whether or not he was even in the house should've been a no-brainer, right?

"Daryl!" The woman called into the house. She turned back to them. "Thanks for dealin with 'im. I know I ain't the best mother, but the kid can be a handful." She shrugged, blowing out more smoke. Ava didn't say anything, and neither did her mom. 

The patter of footsteps drew Ava's attention away from the smoking woman soon enough. Daryl looked startled to see her, looking between her, her mother, and his mom, who raised an eyebrow at him. 

"Ava? What're you doin here?" He asked with a frown. His heart raced in his chest. Had they come over there to make sure he knew to stay away, or to... to come get him? He'd been doing his best to stay away. He was so embarrassed by Merle and by the sore reputation his family seemed to carry around. Ava's dad had been so upset, and Ava had... he didn't want Merle around her. But now she was here with her mom, clearly seeking him out. 

"Our show is gonna come on soon. Are you coming or what?" Ava asked. Daryl looked to his mother, eyes wide, hopeful, and unsure. They really wanted him to come back? 

"What're you lookin at me for? Go on. Better you stay out from under your daddy's feet anyway." The woman shooed him off. A grin split across Daryl's face and he looked to Ava, who grinned back in a relieved manner. He raced for the door, picking up his shoes on the way out. He and Ava rushed across the yard with reckless abandon. 

"Thank you." Daryl's mom said to Ava's. "His daddy's a drunk and I ain't winnin any 'best mother of the year awards.' I'm glad someone's lookin' out for the kid." She seemed extremely sad as she said it. Ava's mother smiled in a morose way. She nodded, sympathetic and unwilling to judge entirely when she didn't have the full story.

"Anytime." She looked Daryl's mom in the eye. "If that boy ever needs anything, you let us know. He's a good kid, and a good friend to Ava."

Daryl's mom simply nodded in a manner bordering on relieved, glad her son had at least someone in this world he could rely on.