14. Spies and Monsters

"I promise I won't tell the Russians."

"I promise I will tell the Russians."

"She's going to tell the Russians."

"Apparently one of them was my freaking partner."

In an interrogation room, James and Mason were awaiting interrogation.

"We get it - there was no island. Why are you keeping us here?" James called to the person or people he was certain were on the other side of the glass.

"We want to go home."

"Island? What island?" The door opened then - seemed their shouting had finally gotten somewhere - and Brooks and San walked in, files in hand.

"Brooks what the hell is going on?" James demanded.

Brooks waited until he and San were both seated across from them before answering. "Welcome to Monarch."

"Monarch?"

"There's more out there," said San.

"What do you mean more?"

"This world never belonged to us, it belonged to them," Brooks explained, showing them photographs from the file folder of other creatures, giants like Kong.  "And they will try to take it back..." 

--------------------------------------

It was a standard interrogation room. She wondered how many people were staring back at her through the glass. She had been in plenty before, albeit in the other role, on the other side of the table, the other side of that glass, the other side of the interrogation.

The one conducting the interrogation, not the one being interrogated.

But here she was - first time for everything.

Marlow had gone home, at long last. She was thrilled for him - she would have to check in with him and his family once she made it out of here. 

The door at the front of the room opened and in walked San and Brooks.

"So, Marija Morenakova, huh?"

"Yes, I'm a Russian-born citizen, but no, I'm not here to steal secrets and hoard information."

"But you did."

"Used to, yes."

"And isn't that what a journalist does. Good cover."

"I am a journalist."

"Under a false name."

"Wouldn't have gotten this far without it."

"You can only keep up an act for so long." Brooks slapped down a folder onto the table. "We had to do a lot of digging, but we finally found this."

A file. On her. 

She slid it over and began flipping through it. 

"And this." Another file - on Philip, who they'd left behind on the island for turning on them. 

"Philip Lance doesn't exist, he never did. His real name is Danielus Ivanov. He wasn't the only spy on this expedition, and Kong isn't the only king out there."

She stared across the table at them. "I'm not going to tell anyone what I've seen - I have no one to tell. And I'm not the one you should be keeping this information from, I can tell you that. Perhaps there are more kings out there, but there are many more spies." 

(And that is the end! Thank you so much for reading, and sticking with me despite the gaps there could be between chapters. After  re-watching parts of the movie and seeing Tom in action I can't wait to see him in the Loki Disney+ series in June! :D

Once again, thank you so much for everything and I hope you enjoyed overall! :))