2. Partners in Crime

"English!" Tilda turned to see Mason standing across the port. The yellow-haired woman jogged over and slung an arm around Tilda's shoulders. "Your hair makes you easy to spot, even in the dark."

"Well thank goodness for that, it's as crowded as those peace rallies we went to out here."

This was true - the Bangkok port was busy and bustling. It had been so busy the taxi had had to let her out way at the other end. She had woven through the crowded market for a while until there was finally an opening in the mass of people and she could just make out the docks. And sure enough there was the Athena awaiting her. And Mason.

"So, how was the trip over?" Mason questioned. "Look at that, the partners in crime reunited all the way across the world. Ready for adventure?"

"Uh huh." Tilda chuckled. "It was good, I spent the flight working on the current story, and making some initial notes for this job. How about you?"

"Picked up some new film for the good old camera, so I'm all good to go." Mason patted her bag and grinned.

They approached the Athena where a man with a clipboard was taking names.

"Mason Weaver, photographer," Mason introduced herself to him.

He looked up, appearing a little taken aback. "Mason Weaver i-is - a woman?"

Here we go, thought Tilda.

Mason grew defensive. "Last time I checked."

"And so is Matt Riley." Tilda stepped forward, pointing to her name on the page. "'Matt' is short for 'Matilda.'"

He just stared blinking back. "Is 'Mason' short for anything?"

"Nope." With that the blonde brushed past him, the red-head right at her heels.

"Can I help you?" the man who appeared to be an officer standing before the gangway asked. They handed him their papers. "Well damn," he stated, nodding, impressed as he studied the papers. "I respect that. But, it was people like you who lost us support back home."

The partners exchanged a knowing glance. Here we go...

"You're not actually going to blame the people without guns for losing the war, are you?" challenged Mason.

"We didn't lose the war, we abandoned it. And a camera and pen are much more dangerous than guns."

"Right." With that, Mason brushed past him too, Tilda right behind her. "This just keeps getting more and more interesting," the photographer mumbled.

"Indeed," Tilda agreed.

Aboard the ship was bustling with personnel readying supplies. The main deck was swarming with soldiers who were quick to notice the two young women.

"Hello there, ladies." A tall, sturdily-built man in his thirties approached them, flashing them a charming, white-toothed smile. He had thick, wavy dark hair and deep olive skin and wore a black turtleneck with a leather jacket over top. "Can I help you?"

"Just heading to our cabin to drop our things, thanks," Mason said, brushing him off.

"Ah, well welcome aboard. Can I be of any help?"

"We're good."

"Thank you though, for offering," added Tilda.

"My pleasure. So, what part do you two ladies play in this whole expedition, might I ask?"

"I'm a photographer, Mason Weaver. And this is my partner, Matilda Riley."

"Journalist. You can call me 'Tilda'."

"Mason and Matilda. A pleasure to meet you both. Philip Lance." He smiled and shook their hands.

"And what about you, Mr. Lance, what role do you play here?" questioned Mason.

"Philip, please. I'm one of two trackers they hired for this journey."

"Who's the other?"

"Don't know, haven't met him yet. But I imagine we will very soon."

"What do they need trackers for?" Mason asked, her tone a little judgmental. Tilda nudged her.

"To be perfectly honest with you I don't know yet myself. I imagine - and hope - that they will disclose such information to us tonight at the debriefing session. 7 o'clock, below decks."

"Thanks, we'll see you there." With one last smile from Philip, the ladies headed down to where the cabins were.

"That one might be trouble," Mason observed.

"He seems nice. He was trying to be helpful."

"Too nice. He was flirting."

Tilda rolled her eyes. "He was cute. Make sure you don't take too many pictures of him while we're out there exploring the wilderness-" She giggled when Mason nudged her. "I wonder what they're tracking on a scientific expedition?"

"Guess we'll find out. Now come on, I'm hungry. Let's go check out that market outside."

(Hello! Hope you enjoyed this chapter (we'll be meeting James soon, I promise! ;)) And yes, I have added in another character, Philip - I have some exciting plans for later on!

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))