4. Cover Story

"Hello and welcome. I'm Landsat Field Supervisor, Victor Nieves," the man introduced to the group gathered for the debriefing session, standing before a projector. Top Secret was written across the slide.

"This'll be good," Tilda muttered to Mason who smiled in agreement.

"Secrets, secrets, secrets," agreed the blonde.

"This is my colleague, Steve Woodward, our data collector," Nieves continued, introducing the man who had been checking them in and was surprised by the two women.

"Mason Weaver is a woman?" Mason whispered in mocking, making Tilda giggle.

"Shh," she whispered, but the two continued to chuckle.

"Our expedition takes us to a place every nautical trade route known to man has avoided for centuries: a long-lost island." Nieves changed the slides to ones displaying satellite photographs. "As our satellites show, the island is surrounded by a perpetual storm system, allowing it to remain hidden from the outside world..."

"Mysterious," mumbled Tilda, hurriedly scratching notes in her notebook.

"But with Colonel Packard's helicopter transport, we will be the first to break through to the other side. Thank you, Colonel." Packard gave a wave. "We're also pleased to be joined, for the first time, by the resource exploration team, led by Mr. Randa, and accompanied by biologist, Miss San, and geologist, Mr. Brooks. Our focus will be on the island's surface, theirs on what lies beneath."

"Searching for buried treasure," mumbled Tilda. "That's it then, the secret's out: we're working for pirates." Mason gave a little snort of laughter.

This seemed to catch the attention of Packard, for the Colonel shot them a glare from across the room, his tense gaze meeting Tilda's. She quickly looked back down at her notebook.

Brooks came forward and began explaining with the help of the slides. "It's simple, really."

"Is it?" mumbled Mason.

"We'll use explosives to shake the earth and create vibrations-"

At this, Tilda looked up. She and Mason now exchanged a serious glance.

"-Helping us to map the subsurface of the island. We'll fly in over the south shore and then strategically drop seismic charges to do this."

"You're dropping bombs?" broke in James, voicing many's thoughts.

"Hmm, more like scientific instruments," corrected Brooks.

"Sounds like bombs to me," muttered Tilda.

"Yeah," scoffed Mason in agreement.

"You hear that, boys? We're scientists!" cried Slivko, one of the young soldiers, earning some laughs from his fellow military men.

"You are not scientists," scoffed Woodward, just loud enough for them to hear.

Tilda raised her hand. "And what is the purpose of these 'scientific instruments'?" she clarified.

"The explosions they create will better help us understand the density of the earth,"Brooks explained.

"So you're dropping bombs," she stated.

"We'll then land and make base camp for ground excursions led by Mr. Conrad and Mr. Lance," Nieves said, grabbing back their attention.

Tilda caught James looking down when eyes looked his way following this address, and he appeared a little shy, while Philip stood up straighter and gave the group a wave.