XV

The restaurant was, to both True and Lowe's surprise, upscale and quite pleasant. Settled in the nicest area of downtown, the cab stopped and True paid before they stepped out. Tucking his jacket tighter around himself, he turned and glanced slightly upwards at Marlowe.

His jaw was tight and True longed to reach up- just one finger- and trace the chiselled bone until it relaxed. Resisting the urge- because tonight, they were only friends- he instead smiled reassuringly.

"Come on, buddy. Time to go." Lowe breathed out a forced chuckle and tugged a stray piece of his hair back into place as they walked inside.

One thing True had always known about Lowe was his incessant need for his parents' approval. If he didn't understand so well, keeping their relationship a secret would've stung a lot worse. But he did know. Better than anyone else.

Because he and Lowe knew each other inside and out, he thought. They've always been two halves of one messy whole. 

Nick and his parents were already seated and the host lead them over to their table.

True was shocked by just how alike the brothers looked. Nicks' hair was a little bit less tidy, and he clearly had a couple years on Lowe if the stubble had anything to say about it. But other than that, he could practically see Marlowe in Nicoli.

"Mr and Mrs Chance, lovely to see you again." Kissing Marlowe's mothers cheek, True embraced her sweetly before shaking her husband's hand with a sure, strong grip.

"True Alcove. So nice to see you. I'm glad you came along tonight, darling." Lowe's mother was small- petite- and had blonde hair and hazel eyes. She was sweet, if slightly uptight, but stricter than she looked.

"I'm glad I could come, as well." Mr Marlowe, or Jeff as True usually called him, was a tall, strong man. He had slightly darker hair than his sons, now beginning to salt and pepper, but similar mossy green eyes. He offered True a grin as they sat down.

"Wow, last time I saw you, you were chasing Marlowe down the sidewalk." Nick greeted, smiling at him. At least his voice wasn't at all like Lowe's. Lowe had a lush, mid-range voice if a bit deep, the kind of voice that could calm storms.

Nicks' voice was slightly higher, holding an air of insecurity and possible hysteria behind every syllable. True guessed that being estranged from your family, your hometown and everything that should've defined you would do that. 

"Yeah, it's been a few years. Nice to see you again, Nicky." True teased lightly, bumping fists with the figment of his childhood imagination. It was strange to see him again. All of his memories of Nick were fuzzy and stained with the reality of his behaviours. Of the consequences felt by both him and Marlowe at his departure.

Part of True felt angry at Nick. If he'd never left, then maybe Lowe wouldn't be taking the brunt end of his parents expectations. Maybe Lowe could pursue the life he actually wanted instead of taking some law degree that he had little to no interest in. Maybe he'd be happier. 

At the same time, he knew he couldn't bring any of that up. At least not here.

The atmosphere was a little tense, to say the least, and Marlowe felt as if it was crawling beneath his skin. He was itchy and too hot, terribly uncomfortable. This strange reunion between his parents and Nicoli just didn't feel right. And with True right in the middle- this forbidden territory that he couldn't figure out how to tread- he felt uptight. He wasn't sure if he really wanted to be so involved.

"So, Mom and Dad say you're studying law, Marlowe?" Nick asked as their food was brought over. It'd been a relatively harmless conversation for the past 20 minutes or so.

"Uh, yeah, yes I am." Lowe hated the attention being on him. He swallowed and took a sip of his wine.

"How's that going?"

Marlowe wasn't sure what to say. On one hand, it was fine. He was testing his strengths and wits. On the other, he absolutely despised it. He hated that the type of law his parents wanted him to go into was as a defence attorney. But he did. And he hated what that stood for.

"It's fine." True caught his gaze and sighed barely audibly. He hated seeing Marlowe lie to himself- to everyone important in his life- to spare everyone's feelings but his own.

And maybe that was the tipping point. Or maybe Marlowe was still looking for an excuse. Either way, heading into dinner, no one thought that Marlowe would be the brother to ruin it.