II

The hot spring air was muggy with the promise of an evening rain as True relaxed in the passenger seat of Lowe's truck. Some cliche pop song pumped through the speakers as they left the confines of the city in search of something greater. It didn't take long to get into the area where the buildings were few and far between and the mountains reached for the sun.

Even though Lowe's truck was immaculate and came equipped with the best damn AC that True had ever felt, they opted to keep it off in exchange for rolling the windows down and absorbing the beginning air of summer.

The wind tousled True's blonde locks, making the strands dance wildly around his sharp face. Marlowe glanced over, noticing the way the fading sunlight seemed to settle in the curve of True's lashes and swim in the blue of his eyes, bringing out the delicate gold specs only Marlowe really noticed.

"How far out are we going?" True finally asked, turning to look at Lowe, who quickly looked away, afraid of being caught.

"Not much further." He replied easily. The back seat was packed with various alcohol and with any luck, it'd be empty on their way home sometime tomorrow.

Lowe had just turned 19, now legal to drink, and they were celebrating by speeding off into the quiet to get drunk off their asses and pretend that adulthood would be something to look forward to.

About two horribly overplayed songs later, Marlowe turned off onto a dirt road that carried them a little way up the mountain. Once they found a lookout site that had the view of a postcard, he cut the engine and slid out of his seat, slamming the door behind him and breathing in deeply.

True followed close behind, coming around to lean on the hood of the truck.

"We didn't bring a tent or anything- just blankets and pillows," he noted in his warm voice, turning slightly to look at Marlowe for a reaction. The latter just shrugged, offering his best friend a careless grin.

"We'll sleep under the stars."

"And if it rains?"

"We'll sleep wet and under the clouds, I guess." They both laughed, their mixed voices the only sound breaking the silence of nature.

"We'll be fine. We always are." Lowe added gently. The sun was beginning to set, and True rounded the truck, opening the backseat and pulling out two beers.

Cracking his own, he handed the other to Lowe.

"Congrats on being old." He toasted jokingly, smiling. Lowe shook his head and pushed his hair back slowly.

"Congrats on being older." They tapped their cans together and began to drink the bitter liquid as the sun set and the stars began to blink into brilliant existence around them.