IV

The next afternoon when the boys woke up in the cab of the truck, sporting pride and hangover headaches, they didn't speak about what they'd said last night.

As Lowe tidied everything up, he couldn't help thinking about the night before. True was gay. Or at least, that's what it had sounded like. And Marlowe admitted that maybe he wasn't entirely straight either.

Folding down an empty beer box and laying it on the backseat, he watched True pull his shirt on. They'd ditched their wet clothes in a bag on the truck floor and were wearing the ones they'd brought with them.

True looked gorgeous, Lowe concluded. He wore khaki shorts and a mint green t-shirt that hugged him just right.

True had never been overly muscular, but just enough that you'd know not to mess with him. He was agile, lean and fit. A runners body. His blonde hair caught the afternoon sun and matched its colour, his eyes crystal as the ocean and bright as the sky.

True was stunning. It'd taken so long for Marlowe to admit it that the sudden realization hit home a little too hard.

Turning his gaze back to the work at hand, he finished cleaning up and clearing his mind of all the thoughts whirring through his busy mind.

Instead, he'd settle for admiring him and wondering how he got so lucky to know someone as awesome as True Alcove.

On the drive back into the city, Lowe was finding the courage to ask True about the night before. He wasn't even sure what he wanted to ask, let alone what answers he wanted, but he knew this was the only chance he'd give himself to say something.

"So last night," he began, competing with the music in the warm cab. True reached out, turning the volume down and shifting his eyes towards Lowe.

"What about it?"

"Did you mean what you said?" Lowe kept his eyes on the road.

"About Rio?" He clarified and although that's not what Lowe meant, he couldn't deny he was curious about that as well.

"Well, that too, but I meant the other thing."

True was passed lying to himself. At this point, he was past lying to Marlowe as well. He was gay and he was falling in love with Marlowe Chance if he hadn't done so already.

"Yeah, I meant it. All of it. I'm going to talk to her tomorrow." Both of them stayed quiet for a few minutes, caught up in their own heads.

Finally, Marlowe broke the silence.

"When did you figure it out?" True didn't want to answer. He didn't want this small, infinite detail to ruin things. But at the same time, he felt it might be good to finally come clean.

"Since we kissed." Those three words struck something within Marlowe. Maybe that's what he'd meant last night, talking about their childhood. Maybe it started way back then, back when they were just dumb kids. Lowe didn't think they'd grown up all that much yet anyway.