Chapter 23

These were desperate times. After hearing the radio report shortly after Kenzie was kidnapped, Benicio rallied every man that worked for him. His enforcers, hired hit-men, drug dealers even the crew that worked at the Hotspot. This was beyond serious. Jackson gathered his men from the Sugarmill and their meeting began. 

        This meeting for retaliation needed to be held somewhere where they couldn't be disturbed. Naturally, Benicio knew places like the Hotspot, Sugarmill, and his home were out of the question. Mickey suggested they use one of the chorus girls apartment for safety. It was a good idea and every man crammed themselves in her tiny living room to hear the boss speak. 

        "Twenty thousand dollars each," Benicio began as he looked over every face in the tiny apartment. "to every man that helps me and Jackson look for my wife." Some men instantly nodded their heads in response, twenty thousand dollars could take one a long way.

        "But this won't be easy." Benicio continued.  "Devaney is a very smart man and he is working within this city, within my city. I want him dead and I want Kenzie back. We are gonna do everything we can to make those two happen. I want you to put this word on every street corner and to every lowlife in this town. Somebody is bound ... to...talk..." his voice trailed off and he put his head down trying not to imagine what she was possibly going through.

        Jackson stepped up sensing Benicio could not continue no longer without getting emotional. "The order is coming from us," he explained. " Find out what you can and bring it back to us. If you see anything suspicious let us know, if you see newcomers in town let us know-"

       "And the cops stay out of this." Benicio added regaining his voice. "Carter doesn't need to worry about this, he's still dealing with the shit that happened at the Opera House. If he gets involved in the kidnapping the feds will be here in a heartbeat, the last thing we need is bluenoses breathing down my neck."

           "So we turned LA inside out without alerting the cops?" Salvio asked.

        "That's the plan." Jackson answered.

        "Easy." he replied. 

        The meeting was adjured and they set out to find information. Benicio's cousin's, Joey, Mickey and Dino stayed behind with Benicio and Jackson.              

        Benicio had made many hard decisions in his life. But none were quite as hard when he told Willie and Jackson that Kenzie was taking from him,right outside their home. This put aside the differences between Jackson and Benicio and they decided to stick together to find Kenzie. 

        "Look Jackson," Benico began in a low serious tone. "I know you and your family don't do what we do and I will understand if you want to pull out. Taking a life is hard."

        "I guess it's a good thing this won't be my first." Jackson replied.

        Benicio raised an eyebrow. "You?"

        Jackson shrugged. "Once or twice."

        Benicio was definitely surprised. From the way Willie kept his children away from the mafia he never would have suspected that Jackson was capable of harming a fly. He was so well put together even taking over the bootlegging business was a shock. Then again, things change when your loved ones are at risk. 

       "How is Gloria handling this?" Benicio asked. "I know she and Kenzie were pretty close."

        Jackson sighed. "She took it pretty hard. Especially being in her condition." he turned to Benicio who knitted his eyebrows together. "Glo is pregnant. We're having a baby."