Chapter 17: Honeymoon (part 3)

Kenzie stepped off the train and inhaled Atlantic City's fresh air. After the long ride and being in the a tiny compartment with her husband, she was glad to smell the salty sea instead of worn out leather.

     Spending her honeymoon in New Jersey was going to be quite the adventure for Kenzie since she never step foot out of California. Even though she was born in Mississippi, her family moved when she was so young. Her memories of her home state were nonexistent. 

     Benicio grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the street, where a long line of taxi's waited. The train station was a mad house, as passengers deboarded. The sound of the engine as well Atlantic City's traffic and residents walking down the sidewalk added to the madness, but it was a beautiful madness. 

     Benicio opened the door and helped Kenzie slide into the back of the cab, the driver didn't seem to notice he had a passenger. Instead of Benicio getting in, he knelt down. "I'll be right back," He said. "The luggage hasn't been unloaded yet."

      Kenzie slightly nodded her head. Benicio closed the door and vanished into the crowd. 

      She sat in the back seat waiting for her husband to return with their luggage. Her mind raced with thoughts of him. Her life with him. A dangerous, violent life that she already got a glimpse of. It was no secret to her that someone was after her husband. Benicio's suspicious behavior, the dead body in her cake, the arrival of his cousins. Kenzie knew they just didn't come for the wedding, she had the strangest feeling they were around for more protection.

      The taxi driver's loud sigh drew Kenzie out of her thoughts. He lazily fixed the rear view. "Where ya headed to miss?" He asked in a scratchy voice. The driver was a black man with a slim face and hollow cheeks. His clothes were dingy and worn out. He looked as if he was having a long day. 

      "Not just yet," Kenzie replied. "there's another coming."

The driver glanced in the rear view mirror and looked at Kenzie for the first time. When he saw her expensive clothes his tone changed, but not by much. "You must come from some kind of rich family, huh?" He questioned.

       "You can say that." She looked out of the window for a sign Benicio. 

       The driver smiled, which made his slim face look gruesome. "Well I guess we all coming up."

      Kenzie wasn't sure what that was suppose to mean. And she didn't bother to ask him to elaborate on it either. She just looked out the window, taking in the scenery Atlantic City had to offer. It was a beautiful sunny day and hardly a cloud in the sky. The wind was slightly breezy but that didn't stop the residents from enjoying their day. 

      She saw families walking hand in hand. Vendors on the street, selling everything from ice cream cones to hot dogs, even stylish hats. It was simply the bees knees and she couldn't wait to hit the infamous broad walk. 

     Kenzie finally spotted Benicio walking towards the taxi with two porters in toe wheeling their luggage. Once they were done loading it into the trunk, Kenzie watched Benicio tip both of them. Judging by the gratitude on their face it was a generous tip. 

      Benicio came around the other side of the taxi and looked around suspiciously before sliding inside. When he looked at Kenzie he grinned.

      "Miss me Dolly?" He said scooting extremely close to her. Being the brute of a man he was, he didn't wait for her to answer. Her skin felt tingly when he draped his arm around her. 

      "No." She shrieked, looking out of the window.

     "Oh I doubt that..." He countered still wearing his grin. "You do know this is our honeymoon." He leaned in to kiss her cheek when the driver cleared his throat. They both looked up.