Chapter 6

'What do you want, Arden? Do you want to accuse the trial master for giving you a cave that is insufficient?'

'No, your honour. I'm here for a different reason. Someone entered my cave and assaulted me, trying to take me out of this valley. And the moment I managed to disarm her the trial master's assistant entered my cave.'

'Is... she here?'

Yes, your honour. I brought her with me.'

I use my dragon body to bring the woman to the centre of the trial circle. She fights against every step. The judge is not impressed. 'So this woman assaulted you and tried to take you out of the valley?'

'Yes, your honour. Even after I explained her the dragons owe me certain loyalties she stood her ground. She refused to leave without me. So I took her to you, knowing you as a judge will have an idea what to do with her.'

'In that case you have behaved correctly, Arden. Well done. Madame, what is your name?'

'My name is of no importance to anyone.'

'Tell us your name or we will give you one.'

'Fine. My name is Francine.'

'Thank you, Francine. Now my first question is: have you trespassed into Arden's cave?'

'Can you disappear?'

'I am the one asking questions! Now, Have you trespassed into Arden's cave yes or no?'

'Yes, I have trespassed.'

'Have you tried to take him out of this valley?'

'I did try, but he refused.'

'Did you try to kill Arden?'

'Yes, I tried to kill him. When he refused to come with me.'

The entire court room is shocked. I shoot the judge a look that says "I told you so.". Then I hear the tapping of claws behind me. Arnestalia. 'Can someone tell me what is happening here?'

I turn around to face her. 'I got attacked by a human in my cave. So about the same situation as the day we met.'

'You aren't exactly lucky, are you?'

'No, I'm not. At least I survived. Again thanks to your late son.'

'The son who made you my son?'

'That one.'

The judge loses patience. 'Can we please get on with this? Because it was you who requested this audience, Arden.'

'Yes sir, it was. We can proceed.'

'All right. So to sum up what we just found out: Francine trespassed into Arden's cave, tried to kidnap him and almost killed him. Am I missing something?'

I respond. 'And the dragon who was supposed to help me found me in the company of a human, even though it is involuntarily.'

'In this case it won't matter, because it isn't your fault. Mistakes are permitted so soon after the trials. So that will be cleaned of your record.'

I'm happy. This won't have any negative influences for me. Now the judge focuses on Francine. 'You committed crimes against someone who is not only a fellow human but also declared a free dragon. You admitted you committed the crimes. Five years ago I declared that anyone who tries to extract Arden will be sentenced to the same punishment as he was punished. Servitude for the rest of your life. Normally we would sentence you to serve a dragon. Sadly for you, Arden has been declared a dragon. So instead of serving a dragon, you will serve a fellow human. Arden, we will mark her dragon possession tonight. You may collect her in the morning.'

'I will be there, sir. Thank you.'

'Please be careful. I don't like seeing people in the court room more than once.'

'Believe me, judge. I never wanted to be in this court room in the first place.'

'Good. That means you won't be breaking rules whenever you want.'

'I've broken enough rules in my life to never try it again.'

'Good.'

The next morning I'm at the prison cave I used to be in. The guards look surprised when I show up. 'Weren't you declared innocent of crimes?'

'It's not me I'm here for. I'm here for Francine.'

'Really?'

'Yes. Here I have the judge's order.'

I give the scroll the judge gave me the day before to the guards. They both read it. 'Everything seems to be in order. But how are you going to keep her under control?'

'Well, that's just easy. Watch.'

I bring my dragon body to the prison. Again the guards look shocked. I respond to their shock. 'Haven't you seen me in the trials? First trial one of Arnestalia 's kids gave me his body. Now I'm both dragon and human.'

'I understand now. Let's hope it works for her to.'

'It doesn't have to work for her, as long as she obeys my orders. I'm the only one it has to work for.'

'That's a bit... harsh. But I guess it is true. As a forced labourer you don't really have a choice but to do as you are told.'

After I collected Francine, I go to Arnestalia. I send my dragon body to my cave with Francine so she doesn't get in my way. 'Good morning, Arnestalia. How are you doing on this lovely day?'

'I'm doing fine today. But what is wrong with you?'

'I'm worried. I just collected Francine, and she tried to resist. I don't know if I can keep her under control, but I don't want to use mind control.'

'So you want to keep her under control, but not so much that a thought forces her to do your will.'

'Yes. What do you suggest?'

'Break her will to fight you. If she is broken she can't resist you. At least, that is the idea.'

'It is worth a try. But isn't it to hard on her? I mean: before yesterday I never knew her.'

'She tried to kill you. Only after I took control over you I thought of this method. So you may use it instead.'

'Thank you for your advice. I will definitely consider it.'

'You're welcome.'

The next couple of months I don't have any time to spare. In the mornings the dragon from the trial keeper's comes, checking on me and teaching me what I need to do to survive in the dragon valley. In the afternoons I work on my new company, and in the evenings I clean myself. Twice. Every day is the same. The longer I live in the valley as a free man the more the dragons treat me as an equal person. Some days I can barely believe I'm with people from another race. After two months I come home to find Ernastel in my cave. 'You need to come with me.'

'What's wrong?'

'Arnestalia is dying. Mom is dying.'

'What? How?'

'You need to come with me now. She wishes to speak with you.'

'I can't come to her cave! I never learned to fly and I can't climb the way up in time!'

'I'll bring you. Hop on my back.'

I carefully climb on his back. He takes off the moment I'm sitting on his back. After a short flight he lands again. 'Have you seen enough to try it yourself?'

'Not really. But I can try.'

As if by a miracle I manage to get my dragon body flying up to Arnestalia' s cave.