the love of a meadow and the hummingbird's song

I remember the meadow. Regardless of the weather, the meadow never changed. It stayed beautiful always. I would run around all of the colorful flowers and bright green grass that decorated it endlessly. It was my safe haven... my home away from home when my mother was alive and when she passed. I would travel there often especially after she passed.

The sunlight reflected perfectly off of my skin. My mother had taken me there the first time when I was three. A few years later she told me that this is where she met my birth father. She didn't think I would remember this, but I did. It was very deeply stored in my memory.

She was young and full of life, and it intrigued the man that lurked in the shadows. He had never seen someone as animated as the mesmerizing raven haired woman before him.

I was seven when she told me this, and I was even more shocked that she was willing to share that information with me given that she didn't like speaking of him. I only ever asked about him once and even then she didn't give me a direct answer. Whenever I was there in what came to be our sweet meadow, I felt what felt like an eternity of serenity.

At the age of seven I also remember seeing a rare hummingbird in the meadow. My mother had told me to go straight home after getting off the school bus that day, but I decided to go to our meadow. My mother had been diagnosed with cancer recently, and I didn't like seeing her look so lifeless. Looking at her scared me, and it hurt. I didn't want to be scared of my mom, but I was.

I stared at the small frame the hummingbird had in awe. The buzzing ringed in my ears almost as if it were a song meant just for me. It was a rare hummingbird in the sense that it wasn't native to this part of the state of California. I don't think it was native anywhere based on how it looked. It was white with black and red splotches around it. It looked as if it were being consumed by darkness based on the splotches. The black and red splotches intertwined. The eyes were as gold as mine, and this intrigued me.

When I came back the next day, the hummingbird was still in its place. It buzzed and buzzed until it's heart gave out. I gasped when it suddenly fell. I rushed towards to see what I would be able to do to help it. I had to help it. I had to.

This was my first brush with death.

It was the first time I witnessed something beautiful be torn away from existence. I began to cry for it. It didn't deserve to just die in the manner it did. The tears streaming down my face were soon on the lifeless body of the small creature I held before me.

Something in me urged me to place two of my fingers from each hand on the chest of the bird and push. I pressed down on the bird's chest repeatedly while my tears fell on it. I closed my eyes, and I breathed in deeply. I soon began to hear it's beautiful humming again.

I slowly opened my eyes, and it began to fly around me. I wasn't scared at the fact that I witnessed it coming back to life, but I did want to know how this all occurred.

James would find me sleeping in the meadow almost everyday after my mother passed. This happened for quite some time, but realistically it was only for a couple of months. No one else would go there, and that it what I loved about it... the lonesome and placid feeling it would entrap me in.

The last time I was at the meadow was the day before I was taken to the outpost. I should have know something was wrong. The meadow's beauty wasn't radiating and glowing the way it always had.

 The meadow's beauty wasn't radiating and glowing the way it always had

The day my mother passed away I was in her hospital room coloring. I had drawn the hummingbird I had seen a couple of years prior that time in the meadow. I didn't realize I was drawing it until my mother spoke. "That's a really pretty hummingbird, baby," she told me through coughs. Breathing was getting difficult for her, and no matter how many times she'd use the nebulizer the hospital provided she seemed to get worse. Her health was deteriorating, and I didn't know what to do.

"Baby, can you get mommy some water." She told me.

"Yes mommy," I happily obliged.

I stepped out of the room to go grab a cup of water for her. The hallway of the hospital never felt more longer than in that moment.

As I made my way back into the room, I saw a pale figure kissing my mother's lips. It was a woman with large stretched black wings.

She turned to me slightly smiling and said, "Soon you will know your place, my dear. The rest will follow, and you will rule."

I stared at her in confusion.

"Mom!" I yelled out as soon as I saw the heart monitor flatline. I began to place my hands on her heart as tears fell down my face. I pushed down on her chest with all my might. I couldn't lose her. This wasn't fair. I couldn't. Nothing was working, and I felt a piece of me being ripped away.

The image of the black winged woman soon left with the visage of my mother following her into the corridor.

James soon rushed into the hospital room with the doctors following. I was forced out of the room. This is where I grew to repress my ugliest emotions of grief and pain. It was here. I couldn't bring her back like I did the hummingbird. I couldn't.
*********************************************
-BACK AT THE OUTPOST-
(Lillian's Pov)

I looked at the woman named Cordelia after Michael spat the words he did at her. She looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Lillian you are a rarity," Cordelia spoke to me.

"There is so much light that emanates from you, but there is a darkness that clouds you. It waits for you to make the ultimate decision of what you'd like to do and who you would like to be. I can't piece you, and my powers come from the lightest of all lights. Lillian you are the ultimate sin not Michael. I feel it in my blood. The difference between you and him is that you carry the gift of choice. I need you to decide. This is the ultimate battle between light and darkness." She firmly stated.

"I don't understand." I stated although the look of confusion on my face could have said the words for me.

I was now standing at the top of the staircase next to Michael. I was in between him and Ms. Mead.

Michael was drawing circles around the tattoo I got in memory of my mother while softly humming to himself. It was a tattoo that covered a small portion of my left arm. It was the outline of the hummingbird flying around in our meadow.

I wondered how our meadow was in this moment. I wondered if it still held it's beauty or if it was corrupted by the gloominess that plagues and surrounds our world.

I looked up at Michael and he suddenly didn't seem so large.

"Come with me." Michael softly said to me while looking me directly in the eyes. His blue eyes were soft and focused.

I couldn't help but to follow him into the abyss.

———————————————————————————
A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I love seeing your comments and votes!

What do you think the hummingbird and/ the meadow represent? Do you think it represents anything at all? I'd love to hear your thoughts and theories!

The next chapter will focus a little more on Michael. It won't be too long (sorry!). It isn't exactly in his point of view, but it'll give a little more insight on him and his connection to the witches!

I'm trying the follow some of the ahs storyline, so I might update the next chapter centered on Michael and wait until next Wednesday's episode to write the following chapter/s.

Also, would you guys like a playlist or something of that sort that sets the mood for the fic? Message me if so. I can work it into the introduction.

Thank you for reading!
-Em