Part 19

Y/N POV

I woke to a sharp knocking on the screen door. I lifted my head slightly, "Hmm?"

"It's Hamiko, Lady Y/N. I'm your maid. I'm here to help you get dressed."

"Oh, right. Uh, come in?" I said uncertainly, I still wasn't used to having the prospect of someone dressing me and everything. Hamiko slid open the door, carefully walking over to the other side of the room and laying down some neatly folded clothes onto the floor.

I dragged myself out of bed, derobed what little I had on already and with a lot of help, she fitted me into an exquisitely made kimono. It was a gorgeous pastel blue with koi fish decorating the expensive material. An extravagent yellow flower accessorised the obi. As Hamiko brushed and styled my hair, I decided to speak really for the first time that morning, "What do you think of the warlords? Please speak honestly."

"My opinion? Oh, well, they all treat us well. We work hard but we get fed and paid properly. All the warlords are respectful and very handsome if I do say so myself." Hamiko said timidly, gauging my personality quietly.

She didn't seem to lying which was rather encouraging, other than Nobunaga and Misuhide: maybe I was quick to judge these warlords. I mean Ieyasu had gone to the trouble of giving me a room convieniently on the otherside of the castle to Nobunaga, facing the gardens and easy access in and out of the castle, so if I wanted to check out the kitchens or the seamstress, it was a simple route and a smaller chance of getting lost.

"Um-... Nevermind." Hamiko stuttered."

"No, you were about to say something, please, you don't need to worry about insulting or talking back to me. You never need to ask for permission to speak or anything."

She paused, lifting her gaze to meet mine uncertainly, "What happened yesterday? I mean all of the servants know really but, well, why is what I mean? Why did you shout at Lord Nobunaga? He's a nice person really."

I pursed my lips, slightly taken aback by the nature of her question, "Well, I just... hate the way he treats me: like his property. I'm not used to this place at all because I come from somewhere so far away but where I come from, men and women are mostly equal. Here, it's just disgusting and I just don't understand Nobunaga's infatuation with me. He's so possessive and it's terrifying! I don't understand his need to have me here, I'm useless and it would be so much better for everyone if he let me go."

"Lady Y/N, you really don't need to be afraid, I know what he did to you was probably a shock but if you give him a chance, I'm sure you'll realise that there's a reason why he's one of the most powerful and respected Daimyos in the country, and it's not just because of his war ethic."

Hamiko gave me a warm and encouraging smile before continuing to dress me.

"All done, unless you think there's something missing princess." Hamiko said gesturing to a mirror.

I walked over, looking uncertainly at someone I barely knew. This person who stared back at me was in a beautiful blue kimono, she was more scared than she had ever been in her entire life, this person was so lonely; iscolated; alienated.

Ieyasu was right yesterday, where Nobunaga had hit me, there was a black bruise that stretched across my cheek, up to my eye and all along my cheekbone.

"Nope, it's beautiful. Thank you Hamiko." I said sincerely. "However, I'm not sure how to get to breakfast. And am I supposed to serve the warlords or something, you know, as the chatelaine? What do my duties include?"

"Well, don't worry I'll escort you to the room where you'll have your meals. And yes, serving and making sure the warlords eat is part of your duties however it's not really required. But as chatelaine, your duties do include maintaining the castle, help the warlords with whatever they need and even us if you're up to it. Well, these are the most important things, but if you have any further questions just ask any of us."

"Uh, thanks." I smiled, when I heard a knock on the door.

"It's Masamune, I am here escort you to breakfast, Lady Y/N."

"Sure." I called out, turning to Hamiko, "Thank you for everything."

A/N

Boring chapter but it's something, I've got some more chapters lined up so stay tuned.