Chapter TwentyEight | Thinking. A Lot.

Start from the beginning

"Morning Mr. Corbani." Amber replied obediantly, and feeling her smaller form touch his side, Braydon looked down to see she had inched closer to him. Braydon hated how scared they actually were of their rescuer. The more he was around, the more Braydon saw it. The happy family act that he had been subjected to before was just that; an act. Worst of all, Carolina seemed oblivious to it all.

"Braydon." He was addressed directly, which meant he was after a response Braydon wasn't willing to give him.

"Yes?"

"I said, morning." The power struggle had been felt since he arrived home on Tuesday. Carolina had told her father Braydon was with them, and at first he had been happy for his daughter until he realised what that really meant. His territory was being invaded by a younger, dominant male.

"Yes, it is." Braydon took another bite of his toast, not bothered by the glare sent his way.

With a snort, he left them and Amber tried to hold back her giggle. "You're brave doing that!"

"Maybe," Braydon wondered if standing up to him made him brave or was he just stupid?

"Hey you two!" Carolina appeared next, making herself a coffee. She had to go into work after taking a few days off and couldn't believe how well things were going for them so far. The fact she had finally made it to some kind of level of friendly conversation with Braydon gave her hope for the future, despite her instincts telling her otherwise.

"Morning." Braydon answered, making Amber giggle again and leaving the duo she headed outside to see her father.

Watching her go, Braydon had become pretty good at guessing her moods, her thoughts. He had worked out what his wolf was doing - which was acting on instinct and he knew what feelings were his own. He couldn't trust his wolf, not like before. The animal only knew mate. It was him that sought to keep close to Carolina, and it was him that had Braydon laying beside Carolina at night, in wolf form since Braydon refused.

While Carolina said nothing, Braydon knew she wanted to. Miranda had never questioned those things about him. He didn't know why; she had always just seemed to accept it all. Accept him. It didn't matter if he wanted to watch Iron Man three times in a row so he could find new things he had missed the first time or that one of his favourite shirts had a faded print of a S on the front. Just like she seemed to understand, sometimes he just needed to hide in his wolf form and that the animal had feelings and issues of his own. He shivered thinking about how her fingers ran through his fur, massaging his back and getting that spot behind his ear. 

While Miranda identified his wolf as Wolfy, treating them almost like two separate individuals - it was still known to her, Braydon was in there too. Carolina, who was also a shifter, seemed to draw a line between animal and human. For someone like him, who said they could accept who he really was - he didn't feel that was the case.

Maybe humans had soul mates and that explained what went on with him and Miranda. Maybe each part of him was meant to have someone. If that was the case, he really was a freak and his wolf didn't seem too pleased about his latest theory; especially when Braydon told him that meant Miranda would only be allowed to touch him as a human, and she wouldn't be allowed to give him cuddles or tell him what a handsome wolf he was.

He had definitely learned a lot this week; about himself like who he was and what he wanted.

Getting up he went to the sink to wash his plate, yet just outside the window he could hear Carolina and her father talking. Yesterday the mention of his uncle had got his attention and so now he took what ever opportunity he could to eavesdrop. He wasn't worried about himself, but Miranda. He didn't want these shifters to know about her. They weren't like Bianca and her pack, who sounded so accepting of Jays fate. Braydon had said he would always protect Miranda and keep her safe, so by staying away from her was the best way to do it.