Chapter Twenty | Fate. Love. Mate?

Walking towards her office, Miranda was surprised Rory wasn't there, but didn't think much of it. She was half an hour early, mostly because leaving was the only way she could Braydon, well his wolf to calm down. Chad's presence had clearly set him into over protective mode and Braydon had only just shifted back when the teen woke up. In the five minutes she had to talk to him, she didn't get anything out of him other than he didn't trust other shifters to be around her.

The whole situation seemed even more exhausting thanks to getting in barely two hours of sleep and everything Braydon had off loaded was heavy on her mind. She had texted her dad to tell him Braydon wouldn't be going to work today and if not for the Chad situation, she would've stayed home too.

The mouthwatering aroma of coffee filled her office, greeting her like an old friend as she opened the door. Despite not seeing Rory, her coffee was waiting as it always was and turning on her computer, she jumped when Jason filled the doorway.

"Give me a heart attack next time why don't you?" She laughed awkwardly while her heart was pounding in her chest. It was then she realised her takeaway coffee cup was the same as his and not from the place Rory normally went to. "Was this you?"

"Sure was. Rory called and said he was stuck on the train, and I know how much you need your caffeine in the mornings." Jason smiled, taking the seat in front of her desk.

He looked Miranda over closely, noticing something wasn't right. While she had softened her appearance around the office lately, her hair was down and messy as if she hadn't brushed it, rather than put it that way on purpose. Gone was the typical kind of skirts or dresses she wore, the navy pants must looser fitting and the striped blouse was the kind he'd seen her wear on weekends, not work. In all, she looked exhausted and as she sat down in front of her computer, her brow was already creased with worry lines. This definetely wasn't the Miranda he was used to.

"Thanks Jace, I appreciate it!" Miranda eagerly took a sip of the heavenly liquid, for some strange reason glancing down at her shoes as a moment of panic hit her that she either wasn't wearing any, or they would be mismatching. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

The ding of an appointment reminder flashed up on her screen, reminding her of an appointment she made last year with a local designer. How could she have forgotten it was that time of the year already?

Looking at Jason, he sat frowning at her, clearly lost in thought until she snapped him out of it. "Ready for the ball?"

It took him a second to answer as he got his focus back.

"Yes, actually, I've been meaning to ask you something about that Andy."

"Oh?" Miranda sipped her coffee, impressed he got her order right as she tasted a hint of vanilla.

For years, Tyson Limited, a rival company, put on one of the most elaborate nights of the year. It was where the bulk of business deals were started from as all the big players in the industry were there. For as long as she could remember Miranda had been Jasons' date and she loved the chance to dress up in a gown that had been specifically made for her with jewels that were loaned from the more exclusive stores. It's amazing the doors that opened because you'd be seen on the arm of Jason Carpe on the red carpet.

It then occurred to her, maybe he wasn't going to take her this year. Did he have an actual date? He always claimed he'd never take anyone to it if she couldn't go, well aware of the gold diggers that prowled around after the wealthy. His trust was extremely limited and so maybe after she kept their friendship as just that, he had a change of heart. Miranda couldn't deny she'd be disappointed.

"Why don't you bring Braydon along?" Jason asked casually.

Unable to hide her shock, she literally sprayed her coffee all over her keyboard before coughing as if she was having a fit.