Chapter 24

Sorry it's taken me soooo long to update!! Had to move, and have had a rough couple of weeks. I realized how much I loved to write and how happy it made me, and finished this chapter today at work. Hope you enjoy! Updates should be coming quicker!

"Dear, you know that the Council approved London and Briar yesterday, don't you?" I asked my still very much irritated wife. She really just needed to get over her aversion to the poor girl. London loved her and she loved him and they had the Council's approval, and mine, so she really just needed to get over it.

"She's not good enough for him, Richard! She's not a Queen. Did you see the way she looked at me? Pathetic. I hate her! I wanted so much more for him! He's our only son! Don't you see that?" she huffed at me, clawing her hands into fists by her sides.

"My dear, sshhh. No reason to be so upset," I said to her soothingly, trying to get her to calm down. I walked over to her and started to rub her shoulders, massaging her, lightly scoring my nails along her satiny skin.

"They love each other; it's obvious to anyone with eyes. He will marry the girl. I mean, she may already be with child. She's going to become a St. Blair whether you like it or not. Just let it go; I know your feelings on the issue, but really dear, don't stress yourself. Try to find something about her you like, and if you can't, learn to be civil, then stay out of her way. I know they are going to build their own palace eventually, and until then we can go on an extended vacation. Please relax, my love."

"Fine! Not like he'll listen to me anymore!" she said, exasperatedly. She turned around suddenly in my arms and gripped me hard.

"Richard, make me forget this, all of this; make me think of only you. I need to get away from here. Let's dream walk somewhere warm and wet and dark," she whispered fiercely, leaning up towards my ear.

Hearing her speak so passionately like that had me reeling in seconds and I was instantly ready to indulge my wife in absolutely anything she wanted.

"Yes, dear, of course, whatever you need," I whispered, closing the distance between our lips. Finally, we were getting over the hump, and London would have the wedding of his dreams, to the woman of his dreams.

And we could finally step down and let them take over the Throne. I wanted my extended vacation, badly, and I knew Amelia would do well with a few long months away from the situation, to get over it, or learn to deal.

I woke up the next night out of a dead sleep. Briar had her arms wrapped around me tightly, but I needed to get up. I slid out of her embrace as carefully as I could without waking her, and took to pacing.

My life was coming together as it never had before but there were a few loose ends that I needed to tie up before letting it go on any further. I was about to have a wife, and in a few months time, a daughter. I would ascend the Throne and together Briar and I would lead our people into this peaceful age.

One problem I needed to handle, which was currently the most prominent and most forefront problem in my mind, was Theo.

He had been my friend for ages and for him to just betray me the way he had, had me seeing red all over again. Before I knew it I was mentally picturing the dungeon doors and within seconds was standing directly in front of them.

I had a tight mental hold on Briar and if anything should pose a threat to her while I was away, I would know about it immediately.

Without thinking, I pushed the heavy wooden door open, and strode past the guards that were blocking my path, not even gracing them with words. I'm sure they knew why I was there and didn't bother questioning my actions.